<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Battles, Wars and Commendations 

That last depressing post might have been premature. I had a very uplifting phone conversation with Nic yesterday and let's just say that this is one case in which I might have lost the battle, to win the war.

What I found out from yesterday's conversation was that I'm basically still very much in this game. Very much. More so than I thought even before the Thursday night incident between her and Jenn.

Nic said she kinda regretted what happened Thursday night. In many ways. She's just really confused about many things right now. And she kinda needs to figure everything out. But I'm still a part of it. She told me as much.

Had a really good Halloween weekend. I was a trucked-over truck driver on Night 1, and Cristina Yang from Grey's on Night 2. It was awesome.

And I've been so consumed with my personal life that I haven't gotten the chance to say anything about my professional life.

I recently turned down the opportunity to cover football (which would have been my dream a year ago) and men's basketball to focus instead on women's soccer, women's basketball and women's track.

Women's sports never get any sort of thorough coverage. They're regarded as second-rate and second in importance. This is evidenced by the fact that my sports editor only offered me the football beat because he thought I was a better writer than the other sports reporter. Which is a nice compliment. But also kinda disturbing: basically the better writers get the football and basketball beats, and the women's sports are covered by the less experienced writers? I don't think so.

I told him I'd stay with my beats. Thanks very much.

And I wrote a column about my decision in Wednesday's paper which got lots of positive response, from the community and from the athletes themselves. Dylann and Domcha from soccer and tennis both told me that they supported my stance. Domcha was especially excited because to her it seemed like I'd given up football to stay on the tennis beat with them. Which is partly true. Nic told me she was really proud of me for doing that, and even my gynacologist who happened to pick up the paper emailed me to tell me she approved.

Oh and I have an internship interview lined up for this Thursday. If all goes well I might be heading up to Spokane, Wash. for the summer... Fingers crossed.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com