Sunday, September 24, 2006
Thoughts from The Night Before....
It's the night before school starts, and I find myself sitting here, trying to piece together the various components of my life that have taken flight in the last week or so, and synthesize them so that the big picture makes sense.
For one thing, my room is still in chaos. And that has to change. Because I need my space. If my space isn't in order then my life isn't in order. That's just the way it works.
With everything else though, I feel as if I've gotten a jump start on life by coming back to school early this year. As Sully put it when we had dinner this evening (she only just got back to school), I'm the only person she knows who's already ridiculously busy when school hasn't even started yet.
Emerald: At the paper this year I feel a need to prove myself. To prove that my brand of human sportswriting works. Because thanks to the new sports editor's'teamwork=success' policy of including our army of eager freelancers in everything we do, I feel as if there are people constantly breathing down my neck, waiting to snatch my job away if I don't perform.
And to be honest, if today's soccer game was any indication, this year's gonna be a challenge. For the first time, I'm covering sports that I've never played. I've at least covered soccer before. But basketball? Come on... who am I kidding? I don't know jack shit about basketball.
Plus I'm gonna have my own column every Wednesday. And I want to make it a column that talks about personal experience you know? Not some stupid commentary, which is exactly what the guys seem to be bent towards.
Because the bottom line is that even though I'm a sports fan, I don't watch sports for the sake of analysing rivalries, figuring out who makes the playoffs, or deciding whether a call was bullshit or not. I watch sports because I like watching people suceed and fail, watching the emotions that go through people when they do. That's sports to me. It's like drama, but unscripted.
Women's Center: This part of my life is still inevitably tied in with Nicole. And well, all I can say is that I have no idea what's gonna happen. The good thing is that I feel as if I got a jump on forming any possible sort of relationship with her simply by way of having come back to school two weeks early. So I'm going into the first week of the ten week school term (and thirty week school year) already with a week of getting-to-know-yous under my belt. Whereas I normally meet a potential romantic interest halfway through the term and then have to engineer a quick way to play the game. Now I've got more time. Maybe that will make a difference.... or, bearing in mind that fact that she's already in love, maybe it won't.
Social Life: It's weird. I feel as if a lot of my friends are gone and that I'm starting the year with fewer good buddies than before. And I'm not sure how to handle that. Maybe it'll get better as the year goes along.
School itself: Well, classes start tomorrow. So far I've got a pretty cool schedule, one that lets me fit in plenty of time to work both my jobs. But I'm hoping I'll be able to balance my class load and my work load at the same time. Judging from the number of books I've got to read this term, that could get tricky fast.
And of course I'm also trying to find time to work out on a regular basis.
For one thing, my room is still in chaos. And that has to change. Because I need my space. If my space isn't in order then my life isn't in order. That's just the way it works.
With everything else though, I feel as if I've gotten a jump start on life by coming back to school early this year. As Sully put it when we had dinner this evening (she only just got back to school), I'm the only person she knows who's already ridiculously busy when school hasn't even started yet.
Emerald: At the paper this year I feel a need to prove myself. To prove that my brand of human sportswriting works. Because thanks to the new sports editor's'teamwork=success' policy of including our army of eager freelancers in everything we do, I feel as if there are people constantly breathing down my neck, waiting to snatch my job away if I don't perform.
And to be honest, if today's soccer game was any indication, this year's gonna be a challenge. For the first time, I'm covering sports that I've never played. I've at least covered soccer before. But basketball? Come on... who am I kidding? I don't know jack shit about basketball.
Plus I'm gonna have my own column every Wednesday. And I want to make it a column that talks about personal experience you know? Not some stupid commentary, which is exactly what the guys seem to be bent towards.
Because the bottom line is that even though I'm a sports fan, I don't watch sports for the sake of analysing rivalries, figuring out who makes the playoffs, or deciding whether a call was bullshit or not. I watch sports because I like watching people suceed and fail, watching the emotions that go through people when they do. That's sports to me. It's like drama, but unscripted.
Women's Center: This part of my life is still inevitably tied in with Nicole. And well, all I can say is that I have no idea what's gonna happen. The good thing is that I feel as if I got a jump on forming any possible sort of relationship with her simply by way of having come back to school two weeks early. So I'm going into the first week of the ten week school term (and thirty week school year) already with a week of getting-to-know-yous under my belt. Whereas I normally meet a potential romantic interest halfway through the term and then have to engineer a quick way to play the game. Now I've got more time. Maybe that will make a difference.... or, bearing in mind that fact that she's already in love, maybe it won't.
Social Life: It's weird. I feel as if a lot of my friends are gone and that I'm starting the year with fewer good buddies than before. And I'm not sure how to handle that. Maybe it'll get better as the year goes along.
School itself: Well, classes start tomorrow. So far I've got a pretty cool schedule, one that lets me fit in plenty of time to work both my jobs. But I'm hoping I'll be able to balance my class load and my work load at the same time. Judging from the number of books I've got to read this term, that could get tricky fast.
And of course I'm also trying to find time to work out on a regular basis.
Comments:
Post a Comment