<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 18, 2006

Back to Work 

Quick post before I take off for Lincoln City for the night. The Women's Center is holding it's retreat/staff training there.

But anyway, today was my first day back at the Emerald, and on the whole, it was awesome. I love the newsroom, I love being in that environment where everyone's just throwing ideas back and forth, and where you're constantly doing something new, something different. For instance, I'm supposed to start covering the soccer team this week. They have a game on Friday, and another on Saturday. Plus I've gotta start coming up with ideas for my weekly column.

And yet amidst all the hustle and bustle, it seemed to me as if one person was missing. Her. In my mind, she's a staple behind that managing editor's desk. And not having her there was weird. Everything the current ME did today, I kept imagining Shadra spearheading. What would it have looked like if she'd been in charge?

What would it have been like if I'd been on staff at the paper last year? Working with her all year. Would that have made a difference? We'll never know. But I spent a few minutes wondering.

Still, it's not only her. It's the newsroom that's different too. The crew last year was such a dynamic bunch. Jared. Tom. Susan. Angie. I had fun with them. And being back at the office without them there, knowing that they're gone, done, is just strange.

Oh well. Some of the gang is still there. Like Steve and Fitty. And we're already getting up to our old tricks: They're planning an Emerald party for Friday night.

I know that things will work out, and that this year will be fun in its own way. But I spent lots of time this afternoon silently saying goodbye, to old friends, old flames, and to the year that I spent with some of the most vibrant, dynamic journalists that I've ever met.

Hail and farewell indeed.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com