Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Hail and Farewell
The last couple of days have been wrought with change.
Yesterday was my last day at the Sentinel. And while I'm relieved to be done with the work, I think a small part of me will actually miss it. I actually caught a wave of nostalgia when I said goodbye to Jonni and walked out of the office yesterday.
I have nothing but total respect for Jonni, the Sentinel editor. I respect what she's doing and I respect the way she's taken responsibility for this paper and is determined to carry out her duties come hell or high water, regardless of the numerous obstacles that are thrown in her path every few days or so. She ALWAYS finds a way around them.
So it was a little sad to say goodbye to the Sentinel because it's definitely been a learning experience for me.
Then today, I picked up keys to my new apartment. I went over, walked around in it and tried to visualize myself living there. And for the first time, I could totally see it. For the first time, I found myself getting excited and trying to come up with a plan as to how to fit everything in my room into the new room.
I'm not bitter anymore. I no longer resent the fact that I have to move. In fact, I'm almost relieved to have to move. Because in the last couple of weeks I've found myself getting increasingly disgusted with the uh level of cleanliness at my current dwellings.
Then tonight I went out to the bars with Angie and Danelle because it's Danelle's last night in town. She's leaving for South Dakota tomorrow. So that was kinda sad. And it just made me realize that pretty soon, Angie's going to be gone too. She's moving back to Minnesota next week, right when I leave.
And that just sent home the message that this year, as great as it has been, is officially coming to a close. So many people who've played a huge part in my life over the course of last year have either already left, or will be leaving.
It makes me sad.
And again, I reiterate — I hate the transitory natrure of college life. It's always so hard having to say goodbye to people whom you've connected with.
I've done it so many times now. With Reese, Sarah, Lant, Katie, Jared, Shadra. You'd think I'd be a seasoned pro now. But I'm not. Because it's not one of those things whereby practice can make perfect. It's hard. And it never ever gets any easier.
Yesterday was my last day at the Sentinel. And while I'm relieved to be done with the work, I think a small part of me will actually miss it. I actually caught a wave of nostalgia when I said goodbye to Jonni and walked out of the office yesterday.
I have nothing but total respect for Jonni, the Sentinel editor. I respect what she's doing and I respect the way she's taken responsibility for this paper and is determined to carry out her duties come hell or high water, regardless of the numerous obstacles that are thrown in her path every few days or so. She ALWAYS finds a way around them.
So it was a little sad to say goodbye to the Sentinel because it's definitely been a learning experience for me.
Then today, I picked up keys to my new apartment. I went over, walked around in it and tried to visualize myself living there. And for the first time, I could totally see it. For the first time, I found myself getting excited and trying to come up with a plan as to how to fit everything in my room into the new room.
I'm not bitter anymore. I no longer resent the fact that I have to move. In fact, I'm almost relieved to have to move. Because in the last couple of weeks I've found myself getting increasingly disgusted with the uh level of cleanliness at my current dwellings.
Then tonight I went out to the bars with Angie and Danelle because it's Danelle's last night in town. She's leaving for South Dakota tomorrow. So that was kinda sad. And it just made me realize that pretty soon, Angie's going to be gone too. She's moving back to Minnesota next week, right when I leave.
And that just sent home the message that this year, as great as it has been, is officially coming to a close. So many people who've played a huge part in my life over the course of last year have either already left, or will be leaving.
It makes me sad.
And again, I reiterate — I hate the transitory natrure of college life. It's always so hard having to say goodbye to people whom you've connected with.
I've done it so many times now. With Reese, Sarah, Lant, Katie, Jared, Shadra. You'd think I'd be a seasoned pro now. But I'm not. Because it's not one of those things whereby practice can make perfect. It's hard. And it never ever gets any easier.
Comments:
Post a Comment