Monday, July 17, 2006
Instant Gratification
Journalism was fun again today, for the first time in the last three days or so really. I walked into the Emerald office and exchanged the requisite 'good morning' chatter with Kathy, the receptionist. Then as I walked into the newsroom, she came running after me and told me that she was from CG and she'd read my story about the new aquatic center in last week's edition of the Sentinel.
"It was really interesting, well put together and informative," she told me. And that was nice. It was nice to know SOMEONE was reading the stuff that I slaved away at for forty hours every week.
Then Ryan, the Emerald's head honcho also commented that he liked my story about Eugene's population growth. Now THAT was a stunner because at the time that I put that story together I actually thought it was one of the crappier ones that I'd written this year.
Apparently not though.
I was at the Emerald pretty much all day and will have four bylines in tomorrow's paper. Steve looked over my story about the weekend's princess visit and told me that he thought it was awesome.
So people like my work. That's good. It's inspiring enough that I not completely dreading the idea of having to churn out three stories tonight.
What's funny is that I've worked on tennis stories ALL year long. Stuff that I've slaved away on, trying to perfect every word, every sentence. Because covering the tennis team means something to me. And I want to make sure I accurately represent those girls.
Yet I've never had any readers actually comment on my stories on the Emerald's website. Today, Molly tells me that a bunch of people commented on the population growth story.
And I'm like "What?" It's ironic. I've had like three stories on the front page of the Emerald so far, and each time I've had people come up to me and say, "Hey I read your article in the paper!" like it's something new, like I haven't been a regular contributor to the paper for the last year.
I don't get it.
"It was really interesting, well put together and informative," she told me. And that was nice. It was nice to know SOMEONE was reading the stuff that I slaved away at for forty hours every week.
Then Ryan, the Emerald's head honcho also commented that he liked my story about Eugene's population growth. Now THAT was a stunner because at the time that I put that story together I actually thought it was one of the crappier ones that I'd written this year.
Apparently not though.
I was at the Emerald pretty much all day and will have four bylines in tomorrow's paper. Steve looked over my story about the weekend's princess visit and told me that he thought it was awesome.
So people like my work. That's good. It's inspiring enough that I not completely dreading the idea of having to churn out three stories tonight.
What's funny is that I've worked on tennis stories ALL year long. Stuff that I've slaved away on, trying to perfect every word, every sentence. Because covering the tennis team means something to me. And I want to make sure I accurately represent those girls.
Yet I've never had any readers actually comment on my stories on the Emerald's website. Today, Molly tells me that a bunch of people commented on the population growth story.
And I'm like "What?" It's ironic. I've had like three stories on the front page of the Emerald so far, and each time I've had people come up to me and say, "Hey I read your article in the paper!" like it's something new, like I haven't been a regular contributor to the paper for the last year.
I don't get it.
Comments:
Post a Comment