<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 14, 2006

A Career 

Well I haven't blogged in about four days. This is mainly because I've had pretty much no time, and nothing new to report aside from the fact that I'm working ten hour days and have become a slave to journalism.

Yup. Writing for three different newspapers at the same time can get somewhat tiring. I'm coping. But just barely. And this week is gonna be insane because the Crown Princess of Thailand is coming to Eugene and I absolutely killed myself to get that assignment and cover the event for the Emerald.

I mean, hey, she's royalty. That'd be a nice clip to have in my collection would it not?

So today was my first free day all week. I got done at 4 p.m. Which is unusual compared to Monday's 10 p.m., Tuesday's 8 p.m., and Wednesday's 9p.m.

The good news is that despite the bitchy publisher trying to pull the bureaucracy card to get out of paying me for next week, my editor, who's awesome, has worked it out so that I probably will get paid.

Good thing.

Not so good thing: I'm working all weekend. Friday is completely booked from 9 a.m. till 8 p.m., Saturday I go from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m. And Sunday I have an interview at 11 a.m. and then cover the princess again at 3 p.m. With any luck I should be done by 5 p.m.

And don't forget — this is all just the legwork. I still have to sit down at some point and actually WRITE all these stories that I've set up interviews for.

The good news about that is that reporting is something that gets faster with practice. And since I've been writing so much in the last couple of weeks, I've gotten pretty quick at banging out stories.

And finally, one bright spot that really makes this whole juggling act worth it.

What I write about matters to people. I got an email from my PR prof, Marilyn, this week in which she told me that she'd seen my byline in the Sentinel and was glad to see me out in the journalism world.

Then this morning I walk into the Sentinel, and Rosie the receptionist tells me that I have flowers! Someone dropped flowers off at the office for me.

Wow.

I read the card, and it's Nancy saying thanks for the article the I wrote on the group of people who gather at the city tennis courts every morning to play. She says I really captured the spirit of their group well, that I'm a good writer and that I did a great job.

Jules comes into the office and she's like "Huh! I never get flowers!"

It's the little things like these that keep you going. It's nice to know that on some minute scale in the universe, some of my work has made a difference in someone else's life.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com