Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Finding a Home
We all think we're grown up and self-sufficient now. Adults who are ready to take on the adult world. But it's funny how everyone turns to mom for a good cry whenever things start to go to hell.
I spent the morning scrambling around Eugene trying to do something to fix our living situation for next year. I'm searching frantically because Sully and I don't exactly want to be homeless next year. That really wouldn't be so much fun at this point.
I turned in my application for the apartment downstairs at the real estate agent's office, then came home to find my roommate sitting on her bedroom floor on the phone talking to her mom. I left her the forms and left the apartment, but had to come back because I'd forgotten something. This time she was off the phone. She'd been crying though. And I could sympathize. I did the same goddamn thing last night.
Adult or not, mom's the go-to person whenever you feel like your life's falling apart. Uh huh.
So the game plan as of this moment is for Sully and I to move downstairs. I put in my paperwork today reserving us a spot. But that could all change still. The idea was to just buy us time and ensure that we're not homeless come September.
Spent the rest of the day at the Emerald. Which has begun to feel like a 24/7 party instead of real work. If I can do this for the rest of my life, and maintain this feeling of genuine fascination with my job, the next twenty years will be a blast and I will die a happy, hapy woman.
At 6pm, right after I'd finished my story, Angie, one of the photographers, came in and said she needed someone to put on a gorilla suit and prance around while she took some photos for a photo illustration they're putting together.
Guess who volunteered?
Yes I spent a half hour prancing around in a stuffy latex ape suit with a mask so suffocating that I thought I was going to asphyxiate. It was good times. But it's so much fun. I love it.
I spent the morning scrambling around Eugene trying to do something to fix our living situation for next year. I'm searching frantically because Sully and I don't exactly want to be homeless next year. That really wouldn't be so much fun at this point.
I turned in my application for the apartment downstairs at the real estate agent's office, then came home to find my roommate sitting on her bedroom floor on the phone talking to her mom. I left her the forms and left the apartment, but had to come back because I'd forgotten something. This time she was off the phone. She'd been crying though. And I could sympathize. I did the same goddamn thing last night.
Adult or not, mom's the go-to person whenever you feel like your life's falling apart. Uh huh.
So the game plan as of this moment is for Sully and I to move downstairs. I put in my paperwork today reserving us a spot. But that could all change still. The idea was to just buy us time and ensure that we're not homeless come September.
Spent the rest of the day at the Emerald. Which has begun to feel like a 24/7 party instead of real work. If I can do this for the rest of my life, and maintain this feeling of genuine fascination with my job, the next twenty years will be a blast and I will die a happy, hapy woman.
At 6pm, right after I'd finished my story, Angie, one of the photographers, came in and said she needed someone to put on a gorilla suit and prance around while she took some photos for a photo illustration they're putting together.
Guess who volunteered?
Yes I spent a half hour prancing around in a stuffy latex ape suit with a mask so suffocating that I thought I was going to asphyxiate. It was good times. But it's so much fun. I love it.
Comments:
Post a Comment