Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Done with Finals
Yup... as of 9 a.m. this morning, I was officially done with junior year. Which is weird to think about because suddenly I'm coming to grips with the realization that I'm a senior. And that in a year, I'm gonna be done with school.
Or not.
Here's a plan that I've been toying with for the last couple of days, and one that really, really consumed me as I was studying last night.
I REALLY want to write that book about the tennis team. But I know that's not going to happen unless I incorporate that into my coursework somehow because being the busy person I am, there's no way I'd be able to sit down and devote a year to writing a book otherwise.
So I was thinking about how to work that into my schoolwork. And I realized that Grad School might be the solution. The J-school here has a really good Literary Non-Fiction program. Basically it's a two-year masters course. You take classes in the first year and devote the second to just writing your graduate project. Which in this case would be my book.
Suddenly that's become a really tempting prospect. The best case scenario is that I could be a published author with an M.A in journalism at age 24.
So that's definitely an idea I'm playing with.
My only concern is that it kinda throws all the plans that I've been making for the last couple of years completely out of whack.
See right now I feel ready to go out and be a reporter, and just take the industry by storm. And I'm afraid that taking two years away from reporting, and just writing a book would completely throw me off track, and dull my reporting skills. So I'm trying to work my way around that and explore the option that I've just come up with.
But I think it'd be fun. So much fun.
I called her this afternoon, and she sounded pretty normal over the phone. Might see her tonight. Or might not. Whatever it is, I'm hoping the storm has passed and we're just going to weather out the next week and a half and have a great time before she leaves.
Fingers crossed. The only thing I have going for me is that if we adhere strictly to the hot/cold pattern that proven so reliable over the last couple of heats, I'm bout ready for some heat to hit me.
And that can only be a good thing right?
Or not.
Here's a plan that I've been toying with for the last couple of days, and one that really, really consumed me as I was studying last night.
I REALLY want to write that book about the tennis team. But I know that's not going to happen unless I incorporate that into my coursework somehow because being the busy person I am, there's no way I'd be able to sit down and devote a year to writing a book otherwise.
So I was thinking about how to work that into my schoolwork. And I realized that Grad School might be the solution. The J-school here has a really good Literary Non-Fiction program. Basically it's a two-year masters course. You take classes in the first year and devote the second to just writing your graduate project. Which in this case would be my book.
Suddenly that's become a really tempting prospect. The best case scenario is that I could be a published author with an M.A in journalism at age 24.
So that's definitely an idea I'm playing with.
My only concern is that it kinda throws all the plans that I've been making for the last couple of years completely out of whack.
See right now I feel ready to go out and be a reporter, and just take the industry by storm. And I'm afraid that taking two years away from reporting, and just writing a book would completely throw me off track, and dull my reporting skills. So I'm trying to work my way around that and explore the option that I've just come up with.
But I think it'd be fun. So much fun.
I called her this afternoon, and she sounded pretty normal over the phone. Might see her tonight. Or might not. Whatever it is, I'm hoping the storm has passed and we're just going to weather out the next week and a half and have a great time before she leaves.
Fingers crossed. The only thing I have going for me is that if we adhere strictly to the hot/cold pattern that proven so reliable over the last couple of heats, I'm bout ready for some heat to hit me.
And that can only be a good thing right?
Comments:
Post a Comment