Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Birthday Festivities Part I
I decided to split my birthday into a two-day extravaganza so that I could celebrate with my two pretty different groups of friends.
Yesterday, I hung our with people from the Paper all day. We started out by playing paintball.. my first time! It was hella fun scurrying around in the dirt and ducking behind walls while trying to shoot at the 13-year-old boys who were our opponents! Jared was loving every second of it because the guy's a paintball freak! And in case you were wondering, yes, it DOES hurt when the little paint pellets hit you. I've got a bunch of bruises today.
After that we were all supposed to go to dinner. And here's where the good started to morph into not so good. Dinner is fixed for 7:30pm at Olive Garden. We get there and they tell us that they don't have a reservation for our party even though I sure as hell made one!!!! The manager finally figures out that they screwed up, and we get free appetizers.
But the crummy part comes when I get this text from Shadra close to 8pm that says something about how someone invited her to the bar at the exact moment that she needed a break from packing and how she ended up drinking too much and was now too drunk to drive her ass over to the restaurant.
I'm already kinda ticked. But since one of my friends was still on her way, I called her to see if she would pick Shadra up. She said she would. I call Shadra, but she says she'd rather not come at all because she probably won't eat and will probably be embarrassing and loud because she's drunk. She says she'll meet us when we go to the bar later. Fine. Whatever.
Dinner was great, and my mood gets a little better.
After dinner, I head to Max's with a couple of friends. Shadra's there. She acts like nothing's wrong. She spends the rest of the night just hanging out with her friends, barely talking to me. Whatever.
At midnight my friend Shasta gets the entire bar to sing happy birthday to me! That's awesome! Some random guy whom I do not know decides to buy me a drink because apparently its his birthday too. It was fun.
I'm standing at the bar talking to Tami, the bartender. I turn around and Shadra is behind me. She says happy birthday. And asks me not to be mad/sad at her because she's sorry she missed dinner, but that that is just her way.
I don't even know what to say. You're standing here seriously asking me to not be mad at you? Fuck that. I'm beyond mad. I'm disappointed. I tell her whatever. And she says that's what I said on the phone earlier and that she knows I'm mad because I'm always the one who gets mad at her. And obviously by that she's convinced that she's done absolutely nothing to merit me ever getting mad at her, because hey, whatever it is she does to make me mad is really "just her way" and so I should be understanding of that and NOT get mad?
Uh, yeah. Right. Fuck that.
Now what I really want to do is to just shake her. Hard. Whatever. I somehow extricate myself from that circular line of so-called logic.
A while later I leave with my friends to go to Rennies where my friend Kai buys me a drink which pretty much puts me over the edge from drunk to wasted!
Yesterday, I hung our with people from the Paper all day. We started out by playing paintball.. my first time! It was hella fun scurrying around in the dirt and ducking behind walls while trying to shoot at the 13-year-old boys who were our opponents! Jared was loving every second of it because the guy's a paintball freak! And in case you were wondering, yes, it DOES hurt when the little paint pellets hit you. I've got a bunch of bruises today.
After that we were all supposed to go to dinner. And here's where the good started to morph into not so good. Dinner is fixed for 7:30pm at Olive Garden. We get there and they tell us that they don't have a reservation for our party even though I sure as hell made one!!!! The manager finally figures out that they screwed up, and we get free appetizers.
But the crummy part comes when I get this text from Shadra close to 8pm that says something about how someone invited her to the bar at the exact moment that she needed a break from packing and how she ended up drinking too much and was now too drunk to drive her ass over to the restaurant.
I'm already kinda ticked. But since one of my friends was still on her way, I called her to see if she would pick Shadra up. She said she would. I call Shadra, but she says she'd rather not come at all because she probably won't eat and will probably be embarrassing and loud because she's drunk. She says she'll meet us when we go to the bar later. Fine. Whatever.
Dinner was great, and my mood gets a little better.
After dinner, I head to Max's with a couple of friends. Shadra's there. She acts like nothing's wrong. She spends the rest of the night just hanging out with her friends, barely talking to me. Whatever.
At midnight my friend Shasta gets the entire bar to sing happy birthday to me! That's awesome! Some random guy whom I do not know decides to buy me a drink because apparently its his birthday too. It was fun.
I'm standing at the bar talking to Tami, the bartender. I turn around and Shadra is behind me. She says happy birthday. And asks me not to be mad/sad at her because she's sorry she missed dinner, but that that is just her way.
I don't even know what to say. You're standing here seriously asking me to not be mad at you? Fuck that. I'm beyond mad. I'm disappointed. I tell her whatever. And she says that's what I said on the phone earlier and that she knows I'm mad because I'm always the one who gets mad at her. And obviously by that she's convinced that she's done absolutely nothing to merit me ever getting mad at her, because hey, whatever it is she does to make me mad is really "just her way" and so I should be understanding of that and NOT get mad?
Uh, yeah. Right. Fuck that.
Now what I really want to do is to just shake her. Hard. Whatever. I somehow extricate myself from that circular line of so-called logic.
A while later I leave with my friends to go to Rennies where my friend Kai buys me a drink which pretty much puts me over the edge from drunk to wasted!
Comments:
Post a Comment