Thursday, May 11, 2006
Down and Out
Guess who's still not speaking to me?
Yes I'm sure that's starting to sound kinda old at this point. Deal.
I spent three hours at the Emerald today plugging away at my feature about one of the men's tennis players who decided to go pro. It felt like my brain was mush. The old writer's spark seemed to elude me today.
But anyway the point is that she came in, and it was the same 'she sees me, but she doesn't really see me" deal. I guess the days in which she'd come over to the sports section to see what I was up to are history now. Never to be revisited again. Tragic.
I suppose the one good thing that's come out of this is that I've realized that my growing attachment to the Emerald extends beyond her. It's not all about her. I do enjoy the Emerald for what it is, I like what I do, I like the newsroom environment, and I'm pursuing this for all the right reasons.
So that's good to know since I've been wondering about that for a long time. She may have gotten me hooked to the news-ed lifestyle, but she's not the factor that's keeping me hooked. I'm hooked because I want to be.
Other than that, the sports editor passed me the certificate I got for winning the ONPA award. Nice snazzy looking thing. And he also handed me another Friday Final that I won in February but that somehow never got to me till now.
I looked at the date on the thing: Feb 14. That was awarded the Friday that I first met her at Neighbors and she told me how good a writer she thought I was. Ironic that it should turn up now, right as this whole thing has dissolved.
Oh and comings and goings.
I'm positive that I won't be sleeping tonight. I have four (yes FOUR) 1,000+ word articles for Mosaic due by 10am tomorrow morning. I have 17 hours in which to write them. Tonight's gonna be a blast.
Yes I'm sure that's starting to sound kinda old at this point. Deal.
I spent three hours at the Emerald today plugging away at my feature about one of the men's tennis players who decided to go pro. It felt like my brain was mush. The old writer's spark seemed to elude me today.
But anyway the point is that she came in, and it was the same 'she sees me, but she doesn't really see me" deal. I guess the days in which she'd come over to the sports section to see what I was up to are history now. Never to be revisited again. Tragic.
I suppose the one good thing that's come out of this is that I've realized that my growing attachment to the Emerald extends beyond her. It's not all about her. I do enjoy the Emerald for what it is, I like what I do, I like the newsroom environment, and I'm pursuing this for all the right reasons.
So that's good to know since I've been wondering about that for a long time. She may have gotten me hooked to the news-ed lifestyle, but she's not the factor that's keeping me hooked. I'm hooked because I want to be.
Other than that, the sports editor passed me the certificate I got for winning the ONPA award. Nice snazzy looking thing. And he also handed me another Friday Final that I won in February but that somehow never got to me till now.
I looked at the date on the thing: Feb 14. That was awarded the Friday that I first met her at Neighbors and she told me how good a writer she thought I was. Ironic that it should turn up now, right as this whole thing has dissolved.
Oh and comings and goings.
I'm positive that I won't be sleeping tonight. I have four (yes FOUR) 1,000+ word articles for Mosaic due by 10am tomorrow morning. I have 17 hours in which to write them. Tonight's gonna be a blast.
Comments:
Post a Comment