Monday, April 10, 2006
Standardized Measurements
So life has taken a slightly interesting turn since the Drag Show after party on Saturday night. (See I told you the Drag Show has traditionally treated me pretty well!)
Remember how I ended up dancing with a girl because her friend asked me to? Well I checked my email on Sunday morning and found that this girl, Sara, added me as a friend on Myspace at exactly 12:44am the night before. Now given the fact that we were dancing till after midnight, that kinda says that she went straight home and ran a search for me.
It gets better.
Since Sunday morning, we have been emailing back and forth over MySpace. Plus, I was looking at her comments wall, and one of her friends left a comment on Sunday saying something like "I heard you got frisky with a cowboy last night. HOT."
So I was pretty amused by that, and am willing to keep talking to this girl to see if this turns into anything. At this point, I'm ambivalent enough.
And here comes the next thing I was going to talk about. I realized at the party on Saturday that I've run into a slight problem. No one caught my fancy. No one at all. Why? Because suddenly I've decided that I've got standards. Anyone who doesn't compare to Shadra is out of the running.
Somehow I had such a great time with her that she's become the yardstick. And that's partially why I'm not trying to do more with this Sara thing. For one thing, the girl's blond. And for another, she's a photographer and an artist. Which is cool and all. But she's not a writer. She's not a journalist. And in that respect, she loses points in comparison to Shadra.
I know comparison's not exactly the fairest way to judge a dating prospect. But that's just it. I can't help myself. Everyone I so much as look at now has to at least measure up to Shadra in some way. Those amazing dark eyes still haunt me. They're all I saw when I was kissing that other girl with my eyes closed on Saturday night.
Here's what scares me though. This has NEVER happened before. I've had issues getting over people in the past, but they've never become yardsticks for the next candidate. Never. Ever. Yet Shadra's somehow cemented herself in my head as the de facto standard now.
And that's definitely a problem.
I'm over her, but not over her. Know what I mean?
Had lunch with Shadra today and had a busy day at work. That's about all I've got to report. We're friends. That's it. But she's still the yardstick.
Remember how I ended up dancing with a girl because her friend asked me to? Well I checked my email on Sunday morning and found that this girl, Sara, added me as a friend on Myspace at exactly 12:44am the night before. Now given the fact that we were dancing till after midnight, that kinda says that she went straight home and ran a search for me.
It gets better.
Since Sunday morning, we have been emailing back and forth over MySpace. Plus, I was looking at her comments wall, and one of her friends left a comment on Sunday saying something like "I heard you got frisky with a cowboy last night. HOT."
So I was pretty amused by that, and am willing to keep talking to this girl to see if this turns into anything. At this point, I'm ambivalent enough.
And here comes the next thing I was going to talk about. I realized at the party on Saturday that I've run into a slight problem. No one caught my fancy. No one at all. Why? Because suddenly I've decided that I've got standards. Anyone who doesn't compare to Shadra is out of the running.
Somehow I had such a great time with her that she's become the yardstick. And that's partially why I'm not trying to do more with this Sara thing. For one thing, the girl's blond. And for another, she's a photographer and an artist. Which is cool and all. But she's not a writer. She's not a journalist. And in that respect, she loses points in comparison to Shadra.
I know comparison's not exactly the fairest way to judge a dating prospect. But that's just it. I can't help myself. Everyone I so much as look at now has to at least measure up to Shadra in some way. Those amazing dark eyes still haunt me. They're all I saw when I was kissing that other girl with my eyes closed on Saturday night.
Here's what scares me though. This has NEVER happened before. I've had issues getting over people in the past, but they've never become yardsticks for the next candidate. Never. Ever. Yet Shadra's somehow cemented herself in my head as the de facto standard now.
And that's definitely a problem.
I'm over her, but not over her. Know what I mean?
Had lunch with Shadra today and had a busy day at work. That's about all I've got to report. We're friends. That's it. But she's still the yardstick.
Comments:
Post a Comment