Monday, March 20, 2006
Living the Civil War
So I've always been interested in the American Civil War. I started reading random books on the subject when I was like, 12. And just couldn't stop.
Last night, as part of my final assignment for the Reporting II class, I interviewed this guy Harold, a Civil War re-enactor. Yup, that's right. They re-enact the Civil War. We had dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Springfield and just sat there talking from 6:30 till 8:45. This guy was absolutely fascinating to talk to. He knows SO much about the war that I'm convinced he could write a book on the subject. Or two. Easily. It was really just amazing.
And I was sitting there just sucking it all up. Loving it. He gave me the details that you would never find in books. He brought me right back to that time period and reinvigorated memories of many hours spent with my nose stuck in books everyone else my age would have rather burned than read.
It was awesome. And I couldn't believe that I was doing it all for a class. It was really just pure fun. I would have sat there talking to him for two hours even if I hadn't had a story to write for class.
But once again I realized how much I love journalism. I'm telling this guy's story. Heck, I could write a whole book on this guy. But as it stands, I'm telling a story that would otherwise go untold. It's a head rush. It's absolutely thrilling. I love that adrenaline surge that happens ocassionally when I'm feverishly taking notes while talking to an interview subject, and the subject says something that I know would make a magical quote. It's like "Oh my god. That's money. That's my story right there!" And then you just carry on writing. Scrambling to take more notes till the next headrush comes along.
And when you've got a willing and entertaining interview subject like I had with Harold last night, you're fucking golden. The guy was a quote machine! He was just SO amazing to talk to.
Sounds kinda dorky I know, to be gushing about a conversation I had with a 60 year old man. But I think I'm in love with journalism. I love what it stands for, and I love its purpose. And it's at times like these when I sit back and really thank the big guy up there for having endowed me with the ability to craft stories out of words. Because that's what I want to to do for the rest of my life.
Love life update: I think she called me "baby" when I ran into her at the bathroom right off the Emerald office yesterday afternoon. I was tired as all hell, trying to get over a mental block while writing my story, and I went in there to go wash my face and wake myself up. She was in one of the stalls. She came out, and was like "Hey baby how was your weekend?" And hugged me. I could have been wrong though. Maybe it was "babe" because that's the term we sometimes use with each other. But somehow I think it was 'baby'. Which would mark a significant step up for us. Interesting. More reports to come. Day 30. It's been a full month. Isn't that ridiculous?
Last night, as part of my final assignment for the Reporting II class, I interviewed this guy Harold, a Civil War re-enactor. Yup, that's right. They re-enact the Civil War. We had dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Springfield and just sat there talking from 6:30 till 8:45. This guy was absolutely fascinating to talk to. He knows SO much about the war that I'm convinced he could write a book on the subject. Or two. Easily. It was really just amazing.
And I was sitting there just sucking it all up. Loving it. He gave me the details that you would never find in books. He brought me right back to that time period and reinvigorated memories of many hours spent with my nose stuck in books everyone else my age would have rather burned than read.
It was awesome. And I couldn't believe that I was doing it all for a class. It was really just pure fun. I would have sat there talking to him for two hours even if I hadn't had a story to write for class.
But once again I realized how much I love journalism. I'm telling this guy's story. Heck, I could write a whole book on this guy. But as it stands, I'm telling a story that would otherwise go untold. It's a head rush. It's absolutely thrilling. I love that adrenaline surge that happens ocassionally when I'm feverishly taking notes while talking to an interview subject, and the subject says something that I know would make a magical quote. It's like "Oh my god. That's money. That's my story right there!" And then you just carry on writing. Scrambling to take more notes till the next headrush comes along.
And when you've got a willing and entertaining interview subject like I had with Harold last night, you're fucking golden. The guy was a quote machine! He was just SO amazing to talk to.
Sounds kinda dorky I know, to be gushing about a conversation I had with a 60 year old man. But I think I'm in love with journalism. I love what it stands for, and I love its purpose. And it's at times like these when I sit back and really thank the big guy up there for having endowed me with the ability to craft stories out of words. Because that's what I want to to do for the rest of my life.
Love life update: I think she called me "baby" when I ran into her at the bathroom right off the Emerald office yesterday afternoon. I was tired as all hell, trying to get over a mental block while writing my story, and I went in there to go wash my face and wake myself up. She was in one of the stalls. She came out, and was like "Hey baby how was your weekend?" And hugged me. I could have been wrong though. Maybe it was "babe" because that's the term we sometimes use with each other. But somehow I think it was 'baby'. Which would mark a significant step up for us. Interesting. More reports to come. Day 30. It's been a full month. Isn't that ridiculous?
Comments:
Post a Comment