<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Patron Saint Kathy 

Ok. So I got the best news ever today.

See yesterday, I was having coffee with Kathy like I told you guys. And we just talked for like an hour. She's more than a mentor, she's practically a friend.

But anyway, I was bitching to her about how two of the three summer internships that I've applied for have already rejected me. And we got to talking about my career goals. And I told her that I was thinking about saying screw sports public relations, and how I would maybe just be a sports reporter for a newspaper.

So before we left she said she'd keep a look out for opportunities for me. And I believed her because she's been a great mentor so far, and she's led me into a lot of amazing stuff. But at the same time, I never even dreamed that she would pull this off.

She called me today when I was at practice and left me the most amazing voicemail ever. She said that she talked to Ron Bellamy today. He's the sports editor of the Eugene Register-Guard. And she said she told him about me, and he was pretty interested. Interested enough to ask her to set up an INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW with me so that we could sit down and talk.

The sports editor of the Register-Guard wants to meet me.

The sports editor of the Register-Guard wants to meet me.

I can't believe this!! I got my foot in the door and its all because of Kathy. See the thing here is that I feel like the biggest stumbling block in trying to get a job is actually getting past the initial process whereby you're just another name amidst a mountain of paper.

I feel like once I can score that interview, I could totally blow their socks off. Because I generally make a good first impression. But whatever. Not gonna jinx myself by saying anything more.

Professionally, this has been a great day. I got some good story material from my interviews with the tennis team, and Kathy hooked me up with Ron Bellamy. Plus I called Britt to tell her the good news, and it was really non-awkward. So yay. Things are looking up.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com