Thursday, February 02, 2006
Cops, Robbers and Overwhelmation
In the last 24 hours, I've ridden along in a cop car and gone to an arraignment at the county jail. All for one fucking class. Reporting II is sucking the life out of me.
The police ride-along last night was kinda fun. We busted a couple of boys for stealing cell phones, took a wheel clamp off some other guy, and sat at a traffic junction with a radar gun for a half hour trying to catch someone speeding.
I personally liked the last one best. It was kinda fun to be on the other side of the law for once. And we did eventually catch someone. This guy with Texas license plates who shot past us. Officer Pope turned on the cruiser's lights and siren and we made him stop.
Turns out the guy was driving after drinking too. So he was in big trouble.
Then today was the absolute craziest day of my life. I spent most of it running around and getting things ready for the Women's Center movie and feedback night that I was hosting. But I also took time out of my busy day to visit the fucking Lane County jail and sit in on an arraignment hearing. Fucking waste of time because I'm gonna be doing SPORTS Reporting!
Then ran off to interview Coach Kowalik from the tennis team for the Emerald article due tomorrow. After which I had lacrosse for two hours, then ran to my event.
To my surprise, we got a really good turn out. A bunch of my friends had come. Even Sheena. Who was surprisingly peppy and sociable tonight. Interesting.
I guess promising people free hot dogs and food is a good way to get them to show up at stuff. The thing was a success. I welcomed everyone, made announcement, played host, and then screened Saving Face.
It's at times like these when you realize that doing PR can be extremely gratifying. Because the feeling you get when people show up at an event you worked your ass off to put together is simply indescribable. It's a real head rush.
Afterwards, I helped clean up. Then trudged to the library to do research for my China history paper. And trudged back home to write mmy fucking arraignment story that was due at midnight.
I tweaked with the damn thing till 2am, took a shower, and now I'm gonna do some quick reading for class before I go to bed and the daily grind starts all over again in exactly 6.5 hours.
The police ride-along last night was kinda fun. We busted a couple of boys for stealing cell phones, took a wheel clamp off some other guy, and sat at a traffic junction with a radar gun for a half hour trying to catch someone speeding.
I personally liked the last one best. It was kinda fun to be on the other side of the law for once. And we did eventually catch someone. This guy with Texas license plates who shot past us. Officer Pope turned on the cruiser's lights and siren and we made him stop.
Turns out the guy was driving after drinking too. So he was in big trouble.
Then today was the absolute craziest day of my life. I spent most of it running around and getting things ready for the Women's Center movie and feedback night that I was hosting. But I also took time out of my busy day to visit the fucking Lane County jail and sit in on an arraignment hearing. Fucking waste of time because I'm gonna be doing SPORTS Reporting!
Then ran off to interview Coach Kowalik from the tennis team for the Emerald article due tomorrow. After which I had lacrosse for two hours, then ran to my event.
To my surprise, we got a really good turn out. A bunch of my friends had come. Even Sheena. Who was surprisingly peppy and sociable tonight. Interesting.
I guess promising people free hot dogs and food is a good way to get them to show up at stuff. The thing was a success. I welcomed everyone, made announcement, played host, and then screened Saving Face.
It's at times like these when you realize that doing PR can be extremely gratifying. Because the feeling you get when people show up at an event you worked your ass off to put together is simply indescribable. It's a real head rush.
Afterwards, I helped clean up. Then trudged to the library to do research for my China history paper. And trudged back home to write mmy fucking arraignment story that was due at midnight.
I tweaked with the damn thing till 2am, took a shower, and now I'm gonna do some quick reading for class before I go to bed and the daily grind starts all over again in exactly 6.5 hours.
Comments:
Post a Comment