<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 30, 2006

Window to the World 

Well its Monday again. Week 4. Holy shit we're almost half way through the term! Life is actually pretty good aside from the fact that I'm STILL swamped with work. It's ridiculous! I covered FIVE tennis matches over the weekend. All for a measley $10. Yup. If you wanna be a reporter, you gotta love it.

And I do. Lately I've been questioning this whole "Let's go into PR" thing. I guess covering the tennis team just got me so into my job that I feel like could totally do it for the next ten years. Because there's so much to do when you're a beat reporter. And so much autonomy too.

For instance, I was talking to my editor yesterday about doing a profile of Anna L., one of the two seniors on this year's tennis team's roster. The girl never got much coverage in years past because she was always eclipsed by the number one and two singles players who dominated all press coverage.

But her contribution to the team is invaluable from the number five singles spot. I've honestly NEVER seen anyone who plays with so much spirit and adrenaline. She's just so energetic even when she's down 4-7 in a first-to-8 pro set. It's amazing. And I told my editor that I want to do a profile on this girl. Figure out what makes her tick. He was like, "Sure just let me know when."

So its fun because I get to exercise a certain amount of creative license. I feel like as a sports reporter, I can make a tiny difference because I have the power to give recognition to someone like Anna-- not the most talented player around, but the absolute life of the team.

In PR all you do is write press releases and HOPE the journalists will cover your story. In journalism, you write for the eyes of the world.

Anyway, to get off the soapbox, here's the article from this weekend:
http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/30/43ddc86507b2d

I spent all of today finishing homework and finalizing a topic for my thesis class. Then went to work, was super productive in an hour. After that I went to class, then lacrosse. Practice was pretty good, I played some good D. And now I have to go to a meeting for work before I go see Annapolis with B-Lev and A-Scog.

Happy New Year Everyone! have fun!

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com