<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 24, 2005

Entertainment Reporting? 

Today we had a guest lecturer in my journalism class. And honestly, the guy's got the ultimate dream job. Right now he's the entertainment reporter for Newsweek. But previously he was actually the editor of Premiere, which is this awesome movie mag.

Sean Smith is a 1996 U of O Journalism graduate. And today he came to talk to us about the art of the interview. Now guess who this guy has interviewed. Let's see. Jessica Lang, Tom Cruise, Meg Ryan, Diane Keaton, and a whole string of other Hollywood big names.

He's on a first name basis with some of the bigwigs in the entertainment industry. He takes studio producers and agents to lunch to network with them. He's got some major hook ups. It's awesome. And to hear him tell it, he got into the business by accident when one of his professors in grad school got a call from the editor of Premiere. The editor told his prof that his assistant had quit and that he needed a new guy. The prof recommended Sean. And the rest is history.

Isn't it awesome how that one hook up can end up being your big break? Anyway, as I listened to him talk. I realized that this would be the perfect job for me. Doing profiles of famous Hollywood people. Because out of everything that I know how to write, I'm best at profiling people. Its the most fun. Plus I think I have the personality to do the whole networking thing either.

So yeah, how bout the entertainment industry instead of the sports industry? As of right now, we're still gunning for sports, but hey this gives me something to fall back on!

I had a pretty good day. Had lunch with the cute guy in my journalism class whom I have a massive crush on. And ran 4.5km with the lacrosse team afterwards. See? Nice. Now, back to work.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com