<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 30, 2005

Week 1 and Life's Random Diatribes 

Well Friday's here. And all things considered, I guess you could say that I've actually had a pretty good week. Despite the fact that my room is still in shambles and my schedule is completely disorganized, I'd say I've settled into place quite nicely.

It'll definitely take some adjusting to get used to my suddenly incredibly homey roommates who practically never leave the house. But other than that, I'd say the year's prospects look pretty damn good.

I'm out most of the time. And truth be told, I havent done much work at all. Which doesn't help because I have a SHITLOAD of homework for the FIRST weekend. Ridiculous.

Me and Lanti have started a daily running routine and are hoping to stick to it. Fingers crossed. Let's see how long our resolve lasts.

Also I ran into a friend the other day who's here at the UO from NUS for a year-long exchange program. And she remarked how different it is here. How much harder it is to make friends and get to know people simply because you're taking yourself out of your comfort zone, and no longer have the support of friends you've known all your life.

Then today I sat down to lunch with Katie. Just one of those things where you eat, talk shit and catch up. (Bear with me a little longer... I promise there is a point to this little anecdote.) Anyway we were talking, and she said something about how not everyone takes friendship as seriously as the two of us do. How a lot of people are just friends with their friends because of convenience. Because everyone needs someone to hang out with on weekends. Katie thinks that's because a lot of people have never had pleasure of finding that one friend that you love to death and have known all your life.

And I think she's right. There are so many people out there who don't know what it's like to love a friend to the point where you'd do pretty much anything for them. That's when it hit me. I haven't done too badly for myself here. Coming back to school this first week and seeing people I haven't seen all summer-- and more importantly realizing that I can still connect with many of these people-- has made me realize that I've got people here who care about me as much as people back home do.

I've built myself a life here over the last three years.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com