Saturday, May 21, 2005
Out/Loud
Spent most of last night at Out/Loud- the queer women's music festival that the women's center puts up every year. I was really surprised at the quality of music at the festival. A lot of these queer artists were actually really talented-- much better than some of the crap that makes it onto the radio.
The musician I liked best was Chris Pureka. She has a folk/acoustic guitar sound that's a little more laid back than Michelle Branch, and a voice every bit as good as Alanis Morissette's. In fact I enjoyed her so much that I actually bought her CD at the concert. $15.
Tonight I'm goin back for Part II. There's a transgender band called Lipstick Conspiracy, JenRo-a gay rapper, and a drag king troupe. Should be pretty interesting. The cool thing about working at the WC is that you end up at the center of a pretty close knit queer community, and so at these events everyone seems to know everyone else.
I played some lacrosse this afternoon for the first time in about 3 weeks, and it was pretty fun. I think one thing I definitely want to work on for next season is learning to switch hands, and to catch and throw adeptly with both my right and left hand. That should come in handy.
Besides, with the way things appear to be shaping up now, there's probably only going to be one big team next year. No more 'A' team 'B' Team bullshit. And that's both good news and bad news. Less segregation, but probably also less playing time for people who can't keep up with the standard of play. Gotta try and step it up a notch if I want to even get on the field next year.
The musician I liked best was Chris Pureka. She has a folk/acoustic guitar sound that's a little more laid back than Michelle Branch, and a voice every bit as good as Alanis Morissette's. In fact I enjoyed her so much that I actually bought her CD at the concert. $15.
Tonight I'm goin back for Part II. There's a transgender band called Lipstick Conspiracy, JenRo-a gay rapper, and a drag king troupe. Should be pretty interesting. The cool thing about working at the WC is that you end up at the center of a pretty close knit queer community, and so at these events everyone seems to know everyone else.
I played some lacrosse this afternoon for the first time in about 3 weeks, and it was pretty fun. I think one thing I definitely want to work on for next season is learning to switch hands, and to catch and throw adeptly with both my right and left hand. That should come in handy.
Besides, with the way things appear to be shaping up now, there's probably only going to be one big team next year. No more 'A' team 'B' Team bullshit. And that's both good news and bad news. Less segregation, but probably also less playing time for people who can't keep up with the standard of play. Gotta try and step it up a notch if I want to even get on the field next year.
Comments:
Post a Comment