Friday, April 08, 2005
Media Ethics and Sin City
I got my first taste of the ugly, political side of journalism today. I called Jen Larsen, the Division I lacrosse coach, to ask her for an interview because I had to write a story on the DI team.
She answered my questions. Rather brusquely. Frankly, she didn't give me jack to work with really. Then at the end, as I was about to hang up the phone, she said, "And Stefanie, I'd appreciate it if you didn't write anything negative about our program. Bear in mind that this is the program's first year, and we're just trying to build it up."
I was confused. Genuinely. Negative? I'd been trying to paint the team in the best possible light. Because hey, they play lacrosse, I play lacrosse. As far as I'm concerned, we're sisters-in-arms. Heck, I think I'm even too partial towards them than is healthy for any journalist to be.
Then she clued me in. "You said we had a 'leaky defense'." Yes. I had said that. But only because I'd been talking about what a great job you'd done patching up your leaky defense, you idiot. And as if that's not enough, she throws this in too, and says something like "If we don't get better press, I regret to say that I'll have to stop commenting on things and talking to the media."
By now I was pissed. I'm doing my job as a journalist, and I'm not gonna kiss your ass just because you say so. I never wrote anything negative. In fact she herself admitted that she never read the articles. Someone in the Athletic Department simply told her about them. So she's taking everything I wrote out of context. Like what the fuck is up with that?
Here's the article you guys. Go read it and tell me whether or not I was bashing the team and painting them in negative light. This is utter bullshit.
Negative, my ASS.
Anyway, I saw Sin City with Sarah Lanti tonight. Awesome movie. Anyone who enjoyed Kill Bill will love it! I'm heading to Bellingham, WA for a lacrosse tourney tomorrow. Will be back Sunday.
She answered my questions. Rather brusquely. Frankly, she didn't give me jack to work with really. Then at the end, as I was about to hang up the phone, she said, "And Stefanie, I'd appreciate it if you didn't write anything negative about our program. Bear in mind that this is the program's first year, and we're just trying to build it up."
I was confused. Genuinely. Negative? I'd been trying to paint the team in the best possible light. Because hey, they play lacrosse, I play lacrosse. As far as I'm concerned, we're sisters-in-arms. Heck, I think I'm even too partial towards them than is healthy for any journalist to be.
Then she clued me in. "You said we had a 'leaky defense'." Yes. I had said that. But only because I'd been talking about what a great job you'd done patching up your leaky defense, you idiot. And as if that's not enough, she throws this in too, and says something like "If we don't get better press, I regret to say that I'll have to stop commenting on things and talking to the media."
By now I was pissed. I'm doing my job as a journalist, and I'm not gonna kiss your ass just because you say so. I never wrote anything negative. In fact she herself admitted that she never read the articles. Someone in the Athletic Department simply told her about them. So she's taking everything I wrote out of context. Like what the fuck is up with that?
Here's the article you guys. Go read it and tell me whether or not I was bashing the team and painting them in negative light. This is utter bullshit.
Anyway, I saw Sin City with Sarah Lanti tonight. Awesome movie. Anyone who enjoyed Kill Bill will love it! I'm heading to Bellingham, WA for a lacrosse tourney tomorrow. Will be back Sunday.
Comments:
Post a Comment