<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Write Stuff 

I like to write.

I've always known that. But I've never known just how much I REALLY liked it until now. Today was basically a whole chunk of journalistic work-- excluding the 2hours I spent asleep in Humanities, which is always boring as all fuck.

Anyway, Julia Carr is a colleague of mine from the Women's Center, and the editor of The Siren... the Women's Center Newsletter. I let her read the profile I did of my trans geology professor, and now she wants to publish it in the next issue of The Siren that comes out next week. That's awesome for me. Getting published= credit=exposure=credibility as a writer.

Julia is a senior in the J-school. She's a magazine major, and later on in the office, I had a pretty lengthy conversation with her about the magazine sequence.

I'm in my sophomore year. That basically means that it's almost time for me to have to declare which area of journalism I'm going to want to focus on. And lately, a lot has happened to make me challenge my original career goals.

Everyone who knows me knows that I've always said that I want to be an anchor on ESPN. And a big part of me still wants that. But the more I see of the journalism world, and the more I learn about myself, I'm beginning to realize that that may not be the best thing for me.

I think the real reason I want ESPN is because that's the pinnacle of the sports world. Anchor on ESPN means you've fucking made it. I want the fame, money, exposure and success that will come with that. Plus hey, to be the first Asian, female anchor on a show like that is a feat in itself, and I want to be the one who makes that happen.

But then I've also realized that what I really want to do is just write. It's what makes me happy. It challenges me, and just sucks me up and keeps me going. And I won't get to do that as an anchor because TV scripts never go into as much detail as print media.

So my fall back option has always been Public Relations. However I'm beginning to think that PR is just writing to advertise and writing to cover up. There is no exposition. No description. No story. And I like telling stories. I love the way I can make the words on a page paint a picture. I like exposition, and depth. I want to be able to push my limits as a writer. Not churn out press releases all day.

PR is the money option. Most lucrative. ESPN is the cool option. Fame, and hey TV. But maybe magazine's the heart option. I could still write for a sports magazine. And that way, I get to tell stories. Which is the most fun in the whole damn world.


Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com