Sunday, November 21, 2004
Winter Term '05
Well I registered for classes yesterday. Forgot to blog that. Anyway, the thing that sucked is that because I'm still only a sophomore and not much higher in the pecking order than I was last year, I ended up not being able to get into a lot of classes. All the damn upperclassmen filled up slots in the 300-level classes before I could get to them.
As it stands, this is what I'm registered for right now:
1) HIST 457: The US CIvil War
2) CRWR 241: Creative Writing Intro to Fiction
3) GER 222: Voices of Dissent in Post WWII Germany
4) WGS 410: Women's and Gender Studies: Race, Gender and Militarization
And tennis, of course.
So the first two classes are actually just classes I randomly picked because I couldn't get into the other ones that I wanted. First thing Monday morning, I have to go to the J-school and fill in a petition form to get into J202: Info Hell. And I'll have to talk to my history professor and see if I can beg into HIST 302: Modern Europe.
If I can get both those classes, I'll drop CRWR and HIST 457.
*****
Yesterday, Erin, my boss arranged a training workshop for all the Women's Center employees at her place. Let's just say that when you dump 15 girls together in the same room for four hours, discussing sensitive issues like race, gender and sexuality, there's bound to be drama. And tears. And emotions. Way too much tears and emotions.
People started "sharing" experiences and tears flowed freely. Then one of the queer girls got into an argument with one of the black girls over what the definition of "queer" should be.
The queer girl lost her temper at something the black girl said and told her, "Well if you look at things in that light, some people wouldn't consider African-Americans completely eqaul either." And whoo, that unleashed tempers as both the black girls in the room immediately got defensive.
Geez. Everyone needs to lighten up. Race issues are overrated. If everyone just agreed to live as "humanity" instead of blacks, asians or whites, we'd all be a lot better off.
As it stands, this is what I'm registered for right now:
1) HIST 457: The US CIvil War
2) CRWR 241: Creative Writing Intro to Fiction
3) GER 222: Voices of Dissent in Post WWII Germany
4) WGS 410: Women's and Gender Studies: Race, Gender and Militarization
And tennis, of course.
So the first two classes are actually just classes I randomly picked because I couldn't get into the other ones that I wanted. First thing Monday morning, I have to go to the J-school and fill in a petition form to get into J202: Info Hell. And I'll have to talk to my history professor and see if I can beg into HIST 302: Modern Europe.
If I can get both those classes, I'll drop CRWR and HIST 457.
*****
Yesterday, Erin, my boss arranged a training workshop for all the Women's Center employees at her place. Let's just say that when you dump 15 girls together in the same room for four hours, discussing sensitive issues like race, gender and sexuality, there's bound to be drama. And tears. And emotions. Way too much tears and emotions.
People started "sharing" experiences and tears flowed freely. Then one of the queer girls got into an argument with one of the black girls over what the definition of "queer" should be.
The queer girl lost her temper at something the black girl said and told her, "Well if you look at things in that light, some people wouldn't consider African-Americans completely eqaul either." And whoo, that unleashed tempers as both the black girls in the room immediately got defensive.
Geez. Everyone needs to lighten up. Race issues are overrated. If everyone just agreed to live as "humanity" instead of blacks, asians or whites, we'd all be a lot better off.
Comments:
Post a Comment