<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Married at 21 

Juanita Jones is a 22 year old senior who will be graduating from the UO at the end of this term. On Jan 8th 2005, she will be getting married.

Yup. Getting married. To her boyfriend of 6 months, a SWAT team cop in training.

Juanita's a new friend whom I only got to know very recently through my Humanities class. Until I started talking to her halfway through the term, she'd just been the quiet girl with the big brown eyes and curly long hair who always sat behind me in class.

Now she's not so quiet anymore. In fact sometimes we can't stop talking. I can't help it. She's just so interesting to talk to.

Anyway, halfway through our first conversation I learn that she's a biker chick. This demure looking girl is obsessed with bikes. She owns and rides a Ninja! How cool is that?

Then it comes out that she's a history major too. We have something in common.

Next she somehow reveals that she's engaged and will be getting married. Then one day she comes into class with a rock on her ring finger. The boyfriend proposed officially. That's The Ring.

Today we were talking, and she told me that when she met him, she knew he was The One.

It's so weird to think that I know someone who's gonna be married soon. Juanita's gonna be a Mrs. Whoa. I don't feel old enough to know someone who's gonna be a Mrs. Just imagine how she feels BEING the Mrs. at 22? I mean I know she's thrilled to bits and really excited because well, she puts visual meaning to the phrase "glowing with happiness", but hey, I'm sure there has to be SOME anxiety there?

In some ways, Juanita and I are a lot alike. To look at her you'd never guess, but she's a reformed tomboy too. And we've got similar speech patterns and habits. So I look at her and wonder "holy crap! could that be me in a couple of years?"

Not Possible.... Right? No way.. especially since I'm currently still lacking one of the pre-requisites for marriage: A Boyfriend.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com