Sunday, November 14, 2004
67 Hours Without a Shower
This weekend was pretty damn great. In two and a half days I went from Eugene down to the Redwoods in California and back. And saw some pretty cool stuff along the way.
We left Eugene at about 4:30pm. By some fluke, Kate, Kara and I picked the van that ended up taking less people. With 5 people in an 11-person van, we each had a seat to ourselves. Which made the crazy journey a lot more comfortable.
So anyway, Friday night all we did was stop at a grocery store to stock up on food, before heading to this quaint little seaside town called Myrtle Creek for dinner. Then we set up camp for the night at a campgrounds nearby. It was rainy, cold and dark. So as you can imagine, sleeping in a tent wasn't the best thing in the world.
But then on Saturday morning, we broke camp and were on the road by 8am. We spent the first part of the day traipsing through various different rock formations-- the names of which are a blur to me right now. I'm not exactly all that into rocks, so nothing really sticks in mind.
The coolest stuff came Saturday afternoon. We stopped by the side of the highway around some place called Brookings, and ducked through this condo-like place to get down to a secluded beach. The beach was home to the Rainbow Rock formations. And this was the best part of the trip. The rock really was kinda rainbow colored! We spent a couple of hours marvelling at it, and mucking about by the seaside. Which in itself was a pretty damn majestic sight.
Finally, we crossed the border into California and set up camp at Jedediah Smith Campgrounds in the Redwoods. Made pasta for dinner, then the whole group of like 12 people sat down to a rollicking 2.5hr game of Uno. Guess who lost in the end? That's right. Me. haha. Whatev.
Sunday brings with it an early start and a trip to the Oregon Caves which I shall not bother to talk about since I found it insularly boring. Let's just say that wandering around in semi-darkness and having to walk through tunnels bent double while on a 2.5hr guided tour with the tourguide going on and on about rocks and natural formations is not my favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
I would much rather have been at the LACROSSE GAME, which I missed.
Still, I had a rollicking good time for the most part, and got home at 8pm. At which time I hopped into the shower and stayed there for an hour, trying to get 67 hours worth of muck off of me. Hot water and shampoo never felt better!
Pictures to come sometime this week.
We left Eugene at about 4:30pm. By some fluke, Kate, Kara and I picked the van that ended up taking less people. With 5 people in an 11-person van, we each had a seat to ourselves. Which made the crazy journey a lot more comfortable.
So anyway, Friday night all we did was stop at a grocery store to stock up on food, before heading to this quaint little seaside town called Myrtle Creek for dinner. Then we set up camp for the night at a campgrounds nearby. It was rainy, cold and dark. So as you can imagine, sleeping in a tent wasn't the best thing in the world.
But then on Saturday morning, we broke camp and were on the road by 8am. We spent the first part of the day traipsing through various different rock formations-- the names of which are a blur to me right now. I'm not exactly all that into rocks, so nothing really sticks in mind.
The coolest stuff came Saturday afternoon. We stopped by the side of the highway around some place called Brookings, and ducked through this condo-like place to get down to a secluded beach. The beach was home to the Rainbow Rock formations. And this was the best part of the trip. The rock really was kinda rainbow colored! We spent a couple of hours marvelling at it, and mucking about by the seaside. Which in itself was a pretty damn majestic sight.
Finally, we crossed the border into California and set up camp at Jedediah Smith Campgrounds in the Redwoods. Made pasta for dinner, then the whole group of like 12 people sat down to a rollicking 2.5hr game of Uno. Guess who lost in the end? That's right. Me. haha. Whatev.
Sunday brings with it an early start and a trip to the Oregon Caves which I shall not bother to talk about since I found it insularly boring. Let's just say that wandering around in semi-darkness and having to walk through tunnels bent double while on a 2.5hr guided tour with the tourguide going on and on about rocks and natural formations is not my favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
I would much rather have been at the LACROSSE GAME, which I missed.
Still, I had a rollicking good time for the most part, and got home at 8pm. At which time I hopped into the shower and stayed there for an hour, trying to get 67 hours worth of muck off of me. Hot water and shampoo never felt better!
Pictures to come sometime this week.
Comments:
Post a Comment