<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Not What You Know... But WHO You Know 

Ok. Just yesterday I was bitching about Rachel. Now I feel like kissing Rachel. Let's just say that she's unknowingly done me a good turn.

I had just gotten home from school and was sitting in my room at the computer when Rachel walks in with a friend. Said Friend is Mun Lee, a naturalized American originally from Malaysia who's been in the States for 15 years. So Rachel introduces me to Mun Lee and we just start talking. She's in the Broadcast sequence of the J-school. A 5th year super-senior.

I'm telling her a bit more about myself, and I tell her I want to be a sports anchor. We talk about football, and apparently she runs the sideline cameras at the games. And she says that if we'd met earlier, she'd have let me tag along at the game last Saturday!!! Geez!!!!

And hello? Guess how lucky I just got. She's the executive producer of Duck U, which is the campus student-operated TV station. So she tells me about how she got involved in it, and then mentions that we need more Asian women in sports reporting, and that they're having auditions for anchor and reporter positions this week. She says I should try out. Heck yeah I'll do it. I probably won't get the position on my first shot, but you've gotta start SOMEWHERE.

From the little bit I got to know of her today, its already evident that this is a girl who's going places. So hello? Connections. I now know the girl who's going places, and who could potentially help ME go places. Sweet.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com