<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Losing 

You know, I think it's ridiculous. Its ridiculous that I can suck so bad at the very thing that defines me. But that's the truth really. I suck at sports. I'm a sports nut, I love playing the game. Any game. And I love it so much that I know I'll keep playing no matter how bad I suck, but honestly, the standard's not there.

So what brought on this sudden dramatic onslaught? Well let's just say that I played in the Fall Tennis Classic today. Doubles with Rachel Frirers. And we went in thinking we had a chance because only two teams of women's doubles had entered-- us and our opponents. Nope. Not a chance. We got slaughtered. 1-6, 1-6. No contest. Again I lose. Honestly, I've lost so often at the Tennis Classics that I no longer go into it hoping to win it all. I just enter for love of the game.

And that's also why I go out there again tomorrow and play singles against Kate McGuire, one part of the tandem that kicked my ass all over the court in doubles today. Will I win? Probably not. But the beauty of sports is that a one in a hundred chance is still a chance. And miracles happen. You just have to have idiotically copious amounts of faith, and a masochistic desire to take the even bigger chance that you'll get your feet swept out from under you.

Lay it on the line and hope to god that you leave with a semblance of dignity intact. But the one thing that no one can ever strip from you is passion. If you love something enough, you suck up everything else in your way and deal with it just so you can keep doing what you love.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com