Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Lacrosse, Class and Random Thoughts.
Ok maybe its because I only really practice once a week, or maybe its because I'm still kinda shaking off some of the rust that's accumulated over the three months of no practice at all. But for some reason or other, I'm not quite feeling IT at lacrosse this year yet.
The weird thing is that it's not my fundamentals that are the problem. I can actually pass and shoot better now than I could before. And while I'm not the fittest or fastest yet, I'm getting there. The real problem is that I seem to be having trouble with the more intricate stuff now. Defense techniques. Offense strategy. And its in those two areas that improvement always comes hardest and slowest.
That's the problem with having a bottom-heavy team with a bunch of freshies who think they're The Shit, and no seniors. I think direction is missing from the team this year. We seemed a lot more stable last year when we had a whole corps of seniors ready to show newbies the ropes.
This year it's each man for himself as all the super-competitive freshies jostle with each other for positions on the first team. You can bet they're not gonna stop and help your ass if it means you'll be competition for them in the long run.
Enough. Anyway, missed my 9am class today for the second week in a row. This time it wasn't my fault. The alarm didn't go off. And besides, I was up till 3am last night working on my defining moments profile for journalism.
The only other thing that happened today was that Kara had a major breakdown when she paid rent and realized that she's only got 100bucks left in her bank account. That's supposed to last her till like mid-November I think. Poor girl. She completely spazzed. And I don't blame her. I would too.
That's the thing. Kids here are a lot more self-sufficient. More responsible. A lot of them struggle to pay for college. Kara's not really struggling in the hand-to-mouth kind of way. But because she's got five sibs, she only wants her parents to have to cover her tuition, and she works everything else out on her own. She could ask them for cash, but she doesn't really want to have to do that.
Makes me feel like a brat for living off the 'rents' credit card.
The weird thing is that it's not my fundamentals that are the problem. I can actually pass and shoot better now than I could before. And while I'm not the fittest or fastest yet, I'm getting there. The real problem is that I seem to be having trouble with the more intricate stuff now. Defense techniques. Offense strategy. And its in those two areas that improvement always comes hardest and slowest.
That's the problem with having a bottom-heavy team with a bunch of freshies who think they're The Shit, and no seniors. I think direction is missing from the team this year. We seemed a lot more stable last year when we had a whole corps of seniors ready to show newbies the ropes.
This year it's each man for himself as all the super-competitive freshies jostle with each other for positions on the first team. You can bet they're not gonna stop and help your ass if it means you'll be competition for them in the long run.
Enough. Anyway, missed my 9am class today for the second week in a row. This time it wasn't my fault. The alarm didn't go off. And besides, I was up till 3am last night working on my defining moments profile for journalism.
The only other thing that happened today was that Kara had a major breakdown when she paid rent and realized that she's only got 100bucks left in her bank account. That's supposed to last her till like mid-November I think. Poor girl. She completely spazzed. And I don't blame her. I would too.
That's the thing. Kids here are a lot more self-sufficient. More responsible. A lot of them struggle to pay for college. Kara's not really struggling in the hand-to-mouth kind of way. But because she's got five sibs, she only wants her parents to have to cover her tuition, and she works everything else out on her own. She could ask them for cash, but she doesn't really want to have to do that.
Makes me feel like a brat for living off the 'rents' credit card.
Comments:
Post a Comment