<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Joke's on Me! 

Hey everyone! Well Its 4am on a Thursday morning here in Eugene, and I'm awake because I'm still suffering from the lingering effects of jet lag. Having knocked myself flat out unconscious on my brand new mattress at 11pm last night, I am now sitting up and wondering what to do with myself before everyone else gets up.

I've been back for less than 48 hours so far, but already this year is looking to be a great one. Yesterday morning, I experienced the greatest shock of my life thus far. Thanks to my roommates who obviously had a ball of a time witnessing what Rachel calls the "priceless look on your face! har har har!"

*Wednesday Morning*
"We've gotta make a quick stop over at the new site manager's place this morning to get you your key." Sarah says to me as we're all getting ready to go to the airport to pick up Aki. (She was Reese's roommate last year.)

"Okay." I shrug. Doesn't matter to me right? I need to get my keys ASAP so I can move around on my own without having to worry about getting locked out.

So we all leave the apartment, and cross the street to Hillyard, which is just behind our street, Alder. Rachel leads us into the East Oakes apartments, climbing up three flights of stairs to get to apartment number 16 on the third floor.

She waits outside the door for a while as Nikki and Sarah catch up with the two of us. Standing right behind her, I'm kinda impatient. Well like why don't you just knock?"

"I'm waiting for Nikki and Sarah to get up here." she says, and I roll my eyes, restlessly wanting to get just my key and get out of there. I've got lots to do today. The laggards finally catch up and the four of us stand on the landing outside our building manager's apartment. Rachel then deigns to knock.

Someone opens the door and Rachel leads the way into the apartment and steps aside to let the rest of us in. I enter. And nearly fall over when my eyes settle on the occupant of the apartment.

No. It can't be true. No fucking way. I'm completely unable to believe my eyes, and its one of the few moments of my life when I can say that I was rendered utterly speechless.

"REESE!!!!!" I yell, launching myself at her in a bear hug that nearly rocks both of us over.

She's wearing a shit-eating grin as she grabs me, "Steffi!!!!"

And suddenly I'm like... tearing. Shock. Joy, Everything at once. Like an idiot I'm just blabbering. "You're supposed to be in Florida." "You didn't go." "Like what the fuck are you doing here!" "Oh my god. You're here. You didn't go! "It's you. It's really you."

Rachel annoying pulls a kodak moment and snaps her camera in my face. Normally I'd have swatted her. But that's when it occurred to me. This whole thing was a set up! They'd planned this! Those little devils! Right then though, I'm just too fucking happy to care. She didn't go. Reese didn't go to Florida. She was here, in front of me. In the flesh.

My best friend on this damn continent and the person who constitutes 50% of my social life had just come barreling back to me. I was too ecstatic to think about anything else.


So yeah, Reese is back guys. Though obviously she's been here all summer and never went anywhere to begin with. She and my roommates have just pulled off the biggest joke that anyone has ever played on me. They spent half the summer going through an elaborate setup to make me believe that Reese that left for Florida. And then sprang THIS on me yesterday.

Honestly, when I found out, I didn't know whether to kiss Reese or to wring her deceptive little neck! Just before they revealed her to me yesterday, I'd gone for a walk around campus by myself in the morning, a walk that ended up taking me down memory lane and making me very sad when I realized that Reese really wouldn't be here this year.

The night before, I'd been talking to Rachel, and she'd totally hammed it up, mentioning how different things would be without Reesey, and getting me all down and depressed.

Then its like with a pop and a bang, my dream comes true. I owe them one. And at the same time, I swear I'm so gonna get my own back!!!!

Revenge is the order of the day!

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com