<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Creating Direction 

Ever heard of the saying "Today is the first day of the rest of your life?" Well that's how I feel right now. It's as though today, I kinda stepped up and laid tracks for the direction I'll take within the next few years of my life. The railroad isn't built yet, but the tracks are being laid.

I declared a history major today. And went to talk to my journalism advisor as well. Thus I am officially a double major in history and journalism. It isn't as intimidating as it sounds. Believe me. I'm been looking over the requirements for both degree programs, and they're really not that bad. All they involve is writing, and a lot of reading. Stuff I've enjoyed doing all my life. And right now, I'm in the process of drawing up a rough framework for my next few years of academic life.

What brought on this current burst of ambition? It's partly because I'm finally out of the funk that I was in last week-- unmotivated, depressed, bored with life. I finally managed to shake that off. I suppose it's partly due to the fact that I'm inspired by this guy who came into J204 to give a guest lecture today. Tracy Wong is the co-founder of the WongDoody ad agency: one of the premier advertising firms in this country. He graduated from the U of O. He's Asian, just like me. He made it in life. What's stopping me?

There's so much I want to do. The double major. Get into the Creative Writing's Kidd tutorial program. The double emphasis in both public relations and electronic media. (I finally decided. I'm not gonna make myself pick just one. Because I can't decide.) Ambitious? Maybe. Overambitious? Possibly. But the way I see it, it's better to have all my bases covered now and drop out later than to realize later that there's something I want to do that I never planned for. Since I'm here, and opportunity is staring me in the face, I might as well make the best use of it that I possibly can.

So yes, today was the best I've felt about myself in a long time. Got all my major stuff worked out. Hung out with Katie for the first time in a week and played tennis. That was fun. We're both out of the low that we simultaneously hit last week. Talked to Anna for a bit. Got life back on track ya know? And now, I'm back on top of my world.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com