Monday, April 12, 2004
Orchestrating the Breakup
Okay. So I've had some time to think this weekend, and I've decided that this thing with John really isn't going anywhere. I'm done. We're breaking up. And doing it before this coming weekend when he's slated to come down and see me.
Initially, even after I'd decided to breakup with him, I wasn't quite sure how to go about doing it. Should I just email him? Reese gave me an adamant NO. "You have more class than that Steffi!" was what she said, no, more like yelled in my ear over the phone. Most people agreed that email wasn't a good idea. But I liked the idea of breaking it to him in person even less. Think about it. This guy drives an hour out of his way this Friday to see me. Only to have me tell him its over and that he can go back home now. Uh-uh. Not a pretty picture. Plus there's that added risk of me identifying some redeeming quality in him over the course of our weekend, and deciding to give it yet another chance. Which would simply put us right back at sqaure one. (read: going nowhere.)
So I spend Saturday night thinking. Unable to decide HOW to do it. Then Sunday, I talk to Jackie. As is typical of Jackie, she gives me this completely look-beyond-the-box idea. To everyone else whom I've talked to, its either email or in person. Jackie just says, "Okay, how bout you email him to call you and then when he calls, you tell him." It's so ridiculously simple, I wonder why I didn't think of it. Its the perfect solution!!
This morning, I talk to Katie a little bit. She psychs me up, and by 5:45pm, I've done it. I've emailed him asking him to call me. That's it. This thing is now almost severed, just hanging by a sliver of a thread. Its the beginning of the end. All I have to do now is wait for his call, and break the news to him.
Its almost over. All I can say is that I'm visibly relieved.
Initially, even after I'd decided to breakup with him, I wasn't quite sure how to go about doing it. Should I just email him? Reese gave me an adamant NO. "You have more class than that Steffi!" was what she said, no, more like yelled in my ear over the phone. Most people agreed that email wasn't a good idea. But I liked the idea of breaking it to him in person even less. Think about it. This guy drives an hour out of his way this Friday to see me. Only to have me tell him its over and that he can go back home now. Uh-uh. Not a pretty picture. Plus there's that added risk of me identifying some redeeming quality in him over the course of our weekend, and deciding to give it yet another chance. Which would simply put us right back at sqaure one. (read: going nowhere.)
So I spend Saturday night thinking. Unable to decide HOW to do it. Then Sunday, I talk to Jackie. As is typical of Jackie, she gives me this completely look-beyond-the-box idea. To everyone else whom I've talked to, its either email or in person. Jackie just says, "Okay, how bout you email him to call you and then when he calls, you tell him." It's so ridiculously simple, I wonder why I didn't think of it. Its the perfect solution!!
This morning, I talk to Katie a little bit. She psychs me up, and by 5:45pm, I've done it. I've emailed him asking him to call me. That's it. This thing is now almost severed, just hanging by a sliver of a thread. Its the beginning of the end. All I have to do now is wait for his call, and break the news to him.
Its almost over. All I can say is that I'm visibly relieved.
Comments:
Post a Comment