Saturday, April 03, 2004
The Corvallis Tournament
Well I just got back from a morning of lacrosse. I almost didn't even make it to Corvallis this morning because we were leaving at 8:15, and guess who ended up waking up at 8:15 because the damn clock didn't ring?
Anyway, we played two games today. Back to back. The first one against Willamette was a total nightmare. We were down 5-0 at the half, and ended up losing 11-0. An absolute disaster. But we definitely redeemed ourselves in the second game against Oregon State.
I think I did damn well in the Oregon State game. You'd think I'd be more tired after running around for one full game. But no, I think the first game was a good warm up for me, because in the OSU game I was on fire. I played a tight, fast paced game. And I scored a goal halfway through the first half! My very first goal in an official game!
I sprint down towards the offensive third of the field from where I've been playing defense at the other end. Everyone is around the goal, and Audrey has the ball behind the goal, looking for someone to pass it to. I cut in once from left to right, darting in front of the goal and yelling for the ball. It didn't work. I can't get free. I try again. And again. Suddenly I find myself at the right corner with my defender half a step behind me. "AUDREY!" I holler for the ball and she delivers. My girl has caught up to me. She extends her stick. Somehow I get the ball off in time, and it sinks into the top left corner. Goal! I've scored!
It was pure adrenaline all the way. I also made a couple of good checks. One time, I even hit this girl on the nose. Not intentionally of course. Got me a yellow card though.
We ended up losing the OSU match 9-10 even though we were even 6-6 at the half. It was a complete heartbreaker. Especially because I think I might've had the chance to tie it up in the dying seconds of the game. But I flubbed it. With like 30seconds to go, Drew threw me the ball. I bobbled it. Didn't catch it and had to waste precious seconds fighting the swarming defenders and chasing down the ball before I got it securely in my stick and in a last ditch effort, hurled it to Beth who was lurking in front of the goal. Just as she got possession of it and was about to shoot, the ref blew the final whistle. DAMMIT! If I had caught that damn ball and gotten it off to Beth just two seconds earlier, we just might've had a chance!
SCOREBOARD
Oregon 'B': 3-7 (0-2)
Anyway, we played two games today. Back to back. The first one against Willamette was a total nightmare. We were down 5-0 at the half, and ended up losing 11-0. An absolute disaster. But we definitely redeemed ourselves in the second game against Oregon State.
I think I did damn well in the Oregon State game. You'd think I'd be more tired after running around for one full game. But no, I think the first game was a good warm up for me, because in the OSU game I was on fire. I played a tight, fast paced game. And I scored a goal halfway through the first half! My very first goal in an official game!
I sprint down towards the offensive third of the field from where I've been playing defense at the other end. Everyone is around the goal, and Audrey has the ball behind the goal, looking for someone to pass it to. I cut in once from left to right, darting in front of the goal and yelling for the ball. It didn't work. I can't get free. I try again. And again. Suddenly I find myself at the right corner with my defender half a step behind me. "AUDREY!" I holler for the ball and she delivers. My girl has caught up to me. She extends her stick. Somehow I get the ball off in time, and it sinks into the top left corner. Goal! I've scored!
It was pure adrenaline all the way. I also made a couple of good checks. One time, I even hit this girl on the nose. Not intentionally of course. Got me a yellow card though.
We ended up losing the OSU match 9-10 even though we were even 6-6 at the half. It was a complete heartbreaker. Especially because I think I might've had the chance to tie it up in the dying seconds of the game. But I flubbed it. With like 30seconds to go, Drew threw me the ball. I bobbled it. Didn't catch it and had to waste precious seconds fighting the swarming defenders and chasing down the ball before I got it securely in my stick and in a last ditch effort, hurled it to Beth who was lurking in front of the goal. Just as she got possession of it and was about to shoot, the ref blew the final whistle. DAMMIT! If I had caught that damn ball and gotten it off to Beth just two seconds earlier, we just might've had a chance!
SCOREBOARD
Oregon 'B': 3-7 (0-2)
Comments:
Post a Comment