Thursday, April 15, 2004
The Best Day Ever
I sit here feeling the slow, spreading ache of overexertion sinking into my body. I haven't done a scrap of homework yet. And I've skipped practice without a legitimate reason for the very first time in my entire sporting career. And yet, I'm happy. Happy as hell, and just content with the way my life is going. It was one of those days where everything is just running like clockwork. The entire day was just fun to live out. As ridiculously corny as that might sound.
I was slated to meet my future housemates in Starbucks at noon so that we could go house hunting. While waiting, I ran into Joe Leary-- whom I havent hung out with since maybe the end of Fall term. We talked a litte bit, and it was a pleasant surprise for me to find out that he's decided not to transfer to USC next year to study film as he'd originally intended. Instead, he's changed his major to journalism, and will be staying here. So yay, another friendly face to hang out with next year.
Then this middle aged lady and her daughter sit down next to me. The mother chats me up, saying that her daughter's in high school, and they're visiting the U of O to see if she'd want to enroll here in the fall. I love my school. I gave it a glowing review, telling them everything good about it that I can possibly think of. I think I made quite an impression.
Nikkie, Sarah and Rachel finally show up, and we set off to go house hunting. Thanks to my boldness, we hit the jackpot on the very first try. Becuse we weren't able to set up appointments with any estate managers, we just walk around the neighborhood. And I decide to just knock on doors and ask people if we can take a tour of their apartments. The first place we came to was a suspect looking block on 15th and Alder. I go up, knock on a door and this blond girl opens. I tell her that we're house hunting, and she invites us in.
Oh. My. God. The inside of this place looks as amazing as the outside looks bad. Its beautiful. The rooms are big enough. There's a kitchen, a well maintained bathroom. Nice living space. Everything is frigging awesome. To top it all off, this girl says that she's moving out at the end of the school year. Hooray. Its perfect! I exchange numbers with Taya-- the girl-- and promise to call if we decide that we want the apartment.
Later in the afternoon, I play tennis with Katie for the first time. She says to watch out. That she'll be really rusty because she hasn't played for a year. Rusty my foot. This girl has some moves. She kicks my ass 6-2, 6-0. No contest. Who cares. Katie turns out to be the most challenging opponent I've had since God knows when. Every ball I hit, she gamely returns with none of that double bounce bullshit. She chases them down on the first bounce. I've met my match. Her groundstrokes sizzle with power-- not unlike my own. Her volleys zip over the net but drop and die. This is someone I could play forever and not get tired off. Playing with Katie, I reach this tennis-induced high where your whole body is buzzing and you feel like you can go on forever.
The next time I look at my watch, its almost 6. We've been playing nonstop for almost two hours. When you're in the Zone, time really means nothing at all.
So yeah, I've had a pretty good day. Didn't go for lacrosse because Traci said practice was optional tonight since we'd pretty much be doing the same thing we've done the other two nights. 'A' Team trains. 'B' Team goes through some lame shooting drill and try to act like we're actually doing something. We're not. Whatever. Today was awesome. Me and Katie are gonna play regularly now. And then we're gonna be doubles partners in the Spring Tennis Classic. Ooh boy I can hardly wait. With some practice, we're gonna be a fucking lethal combination.
I was slated to meet my future housemates in Starbucks at noon so that we could go house hunting. While waiting, I ran into Joe Leary-- whom I havent hung out with since maybe the end of Fall term. We talked a litte bit, and it was a pleasant surprise for me to find out that he's decided not to transfer to USC next year to study film as he'd originally intended. Instead, he's changed his major to journalism, and will be staying here. So yay, another friendly face to hang out with next year.
Then this middle aged lady and her daughter sit down next to me. The mother chats me up, saying that her daughter's in high school, and they're visiting the U of O to see if she'd want to enroll here in the fall. I love my school. I gave it a glowing review, telling them everything good about it that I can possibly think of. I think I made quite an impression.
Nikkie, Sarah and Rachel finally show up, and we set off to go house hunting. Thanks to my boldness, we hit the jackpot on the very first try. Becuse we weren't able to set up appointments with any estate managers, we just walk around the neighborhood. And I decide to just knock on doors and ask people if we can take a tour of their apartments. The first place we came to was a suspect looking block on 15th and Alder. I go up, knock on a door and this blond girl opens. I tell her that we're house hunting, and she invites us in.
Oh. My. God. The inside of this place looks as amazing as the outside looks bad. Its beautiful. The rooms are big enough. There's a kitchen, a well maintained bathroom. Nice living space. Everything is frigging awesome. To top it all off, this girl says that she's moving out at the end of the school year. Hooray. Its perfect! I exchange numbers with Taya-- the girl-- and promise to call if we decide that we want the apartment.
Later in the afternoon, I play tennis with Katie for the first time. She says to watch out. That she'll be really rusty because she hasn't played for a year. Rusty my foot. This girl has some moves. She kicks my ass 6-2, 6-0. No contest. Who cares. Katie turns out to be the most challenging opponent I've had since God knows when. Every ball I hit, she gamely returns with none of that double bounce bullshit. She chases them down on the first bounce. I've met my match. Her groundstrokes sizzle with power-- not unlike my own. Her volleys zip over the net but drop and die. This is someone I could play forever and not get tired off. Playing with Katie, I reach this tennis-induced high where your whole body is buzzing and you feel like you can go on forever.
The next time I look at my watch, its almost 6. We've been playing nonstop for almost two hours. When you're in the Zone, time really means nothing at all.
So yeah, I've had a pretty good day. Didn't go for lacrosse because Traci said practice was optional tonight since we'd pretty much be doing the same thing we've done the other two nights. 'A' Team trains. 'B' Team goes through some lame shooting drill and try to act like we're actually doing something. We're not. Whatever. Today was awesome. Me and Katie are gonna play regularly now. And then we're gonna be doubles partners in the Spring Tennis Classic. Ooh boy I can hardly wait. With some practice, we're gonna be a fucking lethal combination.
Comments:
Post a Comment