<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 01, 2004

Lacrosse Weekend 

Okay, right now I'm real pissed because I just typed up this super long entry but it got fucking erased. So I've gotta do it again. Here goes. Its gonna be a long post. I've got a lot to say. So be warned, and read on if you wanna.

This weekend was simply awesome. Road trips at home, when we drive maybe a maximum of 45 minutes, are nothing compared to the long road trips here. The trip is actually half the fun. 10 girls in a van for 7 hours with an unlimited supply of munchies. The other half of the fun is of course playing in the tourney itself. And this year, one tourney into the season, we've already earned ourselves a reputation: Oregon is the team to beat this year. Everyone else better watch out. Judging by how well we did this week, we're gonna kick some serious butt. Our A Team went undefeated 5-0, and the B' Team--my team-- did get a couple of wins too.

Friday
At 1pm, we pile into three vans and start out journey. I'm in the van that Louisa and Tara are driving, along with Anie-- Louisa's sister--, Anya, Miyuki, Drew, Neota, Ann Marie and Lorelai. Before we even pull out of the parking lot, we're cracking open the food. We don't stop eating. Ever. At 5pm, our little contingent pulls into a town called Hood River. EVERYONE rushes to use the bathroom in this little Taco restaurant that Liz tells me the team visits every year. We have dinner at the Taco place, then hit the road again.

One wrong turn and four hours later, we pull into the Travelodge motel. Traci checks us in. We've got 5 rooms to be split between 26 girls. I end up rooming with Neota, Drew, Miyuki, Ann Marie and Lorelai. Because everyone else called beds first, Drew and I are stuck with the floor. Problem is, the fricking room is so damn tiny that there's hardly any floor space to sleep on.

In the end, Drew and I end up taking our sleeping bags over to Traci and Emma's room. Because everyone else just packed in 6 to a room, the last room ended up with only four occupants-- Traci, Emma, Marissa and Little Liz. Their room also seems bigger than the rest. So we sprawl out on the floor there and by 11pm everyone's asleep.

Saturday
7am. Mary comes knocking on everyone's door to wake us all up. Apparently she's one of those people who are super perky in the morning. Louisa's mom is a total lacrosse mom. She drove the Dorsch family camper all the way up from Portland just to watch Louisa and Anie play. She provides the team with bagels and orange juice for breakfast. The freshmen are introduced to the third Dorsch sister, 10-yr-old Lily, this adorable chubby little ball of spunk. Apparently, she's our mascot, or so she says. I love that kid.

We get to the fields by 8 and start warmups. Its freezing cold. A Team plays the first game, and hands Willamette a solid 15-something thrashing. When its B' Team's turn, we take the field against U of Washington. We try to keep it close, but it's everyone's first game. I don't think I'm playing well at all. I keep getting called for checks every couple of minutes and it frustrates the hell outta me. The final score is 1-4. Hey, at least we scored.

A' Team next plays Barracuda-- a team Oregon has never beaten before. We end up winning by a good margin. On the other hand, B team's second game is against Montana. We get our asses handed to us on a silver platter with a 1-12 loss. Still, the seniors reassure us saying that Montana is one of the best teams at the tournament. Oregon's only beaten them once.

We have pb and j sandwiches for lunch-- courtesy of Mrs Dorsch and Lily. Then the A team plays Western Wash-- another team they've never beaten. They win that game too, 9-3. And they come over to watch B team play Gonzaga our final match of the day. By this point, I'm revved up. Hungry for a win. I want a win so bad that I'd readily kill the girl next to me just to get it. When that first whistle blows, I explode like a wolf unleashed. I'm all over the ball-- offense and defense. I play like an animal possessed. Still, despite my efforts, the first half ends in a goalless tie.

We take the field in the second half ready to battle it out. Gonzaga draws first blood, but we reply almost immediately with a goal from Audrey. The score stays at a goal apiece until the last two minutes. Sarah scores from way out on the 12 yard arc, and we go wild. Suddenly, the team is rejuvenated. I'm pumped. I do NOT want to let Gonzaga score and push this game into OT.

It's in the last minute that I make one of my best plays all weekend. One that makes everyone sit up and take notice. With a minute on the clock, Gonzaga has the ball and they've moving it towards out goal. I'm up against the one girl on the team who can play well. With forty seconds left, they pass her the ball, and she tries to run it upfield, with me in her face. She pushes towards goal, but can't get past me. I'll be dammned if I let her through to score on me. Not on my watch. She jukes and fakes. I'm still there. With 15 seconds, I can see desperation and something almost akin to fear mounting in her eyes. She looks to pass, but I'm in her face. She backs up to the edge of the field, and tries to make another attempt at goal. I push right back. Seven seconds. As a last ditch attempt, she cocks her stick and tries to pass. Because she can't see past me, she fucks up the pass, and the ball rolls onto the ground with everyone chasing it.

The linesman is next to the ref counting down, "...four, three, two, one." As the final whistle blows, our team rushes off the field jubilantly. We've won!!! That game was good. I played some good defence, and lots of people were telling me so. I got comments from people like Tara, Traci, Anya and Marissa. But the one compliment that really made my day came from Emma. She came up to me and patted me on the back, telling me that I played phenomenal D. Especially in that last stand. Perfect end to a great day.

Sunday
We check out of the hotel by 7am, and get to the field by 7:45. The A Team's playing first. B Team doesn't play till 10:30. A Team's first game is against University of Puget Sound-- the best team in the entire tournament because they're in Division III-- that means they're a varsity program, a huge level above the club team status that every other team at the tournament is at. We've never beaten them before. But our A team gets right to work. UPS takes an early lead, going up 2-0. But Traci puts in one before halftime, and we start the second half only down by one goal.

This second half is the most exciting half hour of my life. I spend the entire time standing on the bleachers jumping up and down, hollering myself hoarse. Oregon rallies and steps up our game. Within minutes of the second half, we've tied the score. Then UPS scores, but we reply with an unstoppable shot from Emma. With another beautiful goal from Miyuki, we take the lead for the first time and never look back. The momentum stays on our side for good. The result is an emotionally draining 6-4 victory at the end of which everyone screams and runs onto the field to embrace our exhausted players.

It was B team's turn. We were up against Blackfin-- a club that was supposed to be around our standard. They were. But they proved to be just a little bit faster and a little bit more experienced. Especially in the first half. They scored the first goal in the opening seconds to give them a quick boost. Things only went from bad to worse when Audrey got a yellow card and we were forced to play man down. With an extra player on the field, Blackfin easily put in two more goals to bring the score to 3-0. I was disgusted with myself. For some reason, my speed wasn't there. I felt stiff. Stiff and leaden, and I wasn't making plays that I should be.

In the second half, with Audrey back in, we stepped things up a notch, pulling the score back to 3-3 and holding it until the last two minutes of the game. Then Blackfin scored a heartbreaking goal, pulling away for good. Final score: 3-4. A close loss. I was NOT happy.

A Team came over from their game-- an easy 19-1 massacre of Pacific Lutheran to watch us play in our final game of the tournament-- against Whitman "B". Somehow I pulled myself outta my hole, and in this game, I was back on fire. I could feel the flow. Energy coursed through me as I sprinted up and down the field tirelessly, not only playing defence like my position required, but playing offense too. My legs churned like pistons. I checked like I was going to cut people's sticks off. Towards the end of the first half, I made a spectacular interception. With the shooter on the 8 yard line taking a penalty shot, I charged out, and my stick intercepted her shot right in front of the goal to the cheers of our watching A team.

Just before half time, Traci and Emma pulled me from D Wing, moving me back to cover point to give me a break. Anie came in at D Wing, and Dawn was taken out of the game. In the second half I continued at cover point until the final minute, when I was called out for Ann Marie to come in. As I jogged off the field, the entire A Team, sitting on the grass repeatedly told me that I'd played some awesome D. I stood there for that final minute, watching my team finish off the decimation of Whitman, knowing that I'd played well, and beginning to wonder if I might be bumped up to the A Team earlier than I'd previously dared to hope. I'd made a lasting impression this weekend. If I continued to play at this level, things might just start falling into place.

At the final whistle, I ran out to join my teammates, as we celebrated a well deserved 7-2 thrashing of Whitman. It had taken us five games, but we'd finally gelled together as a team.

And that was it. We got back into the vans and aside from a stop at Safeway to get groceries for the ride back, and a bathroom break at MacDonalds halfway through, we drove steadily back to Oregon. By 9pm, I was in my room. Tired, aching all over, but happy as a clam. Nothing is more fulfilling than a well deserved win.

So that was my weekend. I just love this game. I can't wait for our next tourney-- two weeks from now. We're heading up to Seattle this time, and I'm determined to kick the crap out of whichever team we happen to find ourselves playing.

SCOREBOARD:
Oregon 'A': 5-0
Oregon 'B': 2-3

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com