<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 27, 2004

Peaking at the Right Time 

Well, last entry before I go incommunicado for the weekend. In 8 hours I'll be in the van, heading up to Walla Walla for our tourney. I'm psyched. I'm so excited, its all I can do to drag myself to class tomorrow. In 24 hours I'm gonna be playing in my very first lacrosse game. How awesome is that?

As far as physical condition goes, this is the best I've felt since spraining my ankle a couple of weeks ago. I had a phenomenal practice today, an improvement over yesterday's which was an improvement over Tuesday's disaster filled practice. Today, I made a couple of good plays. And I'm finally getting used to the new stick I'm thinking of buying from Anie. She lent it to me around the same time that I sprained my ankle, and somehow it took me a long while to be able to play properly with it. Now I can finally say I'm catching more balls with it than I'm dropping. Oh and my passes are actually getting more accurate now. Whao.

Plus I got a tremendous confidence boost in practice today. I scored another goal. That's not the best part. The best part is the circumstances under which said goal was scored. I was up against Emma. Emma Thorborg. Best player on the team, fitter than a pack of Marines, swift as hell, with stick skills that would scare the hell out of anyone who happens to come up against her. She's team captain and she knows her shit. I actually beat her. One time. Out of all the countless times when I've found myself up against her. One time. I beat her.


It was a one on one situation inside the 8-yard arc. I was on the left, trying to drive in towards the middle. I turned the speed on and barrelled my way through, somehow managing to hold onto the ball even with Emma in my face. When I got in line with the goal I took a sharp cut towards it. I cocked my stick back and for once, it felt strong in my hands. It was like an extension of my arm, a coiled spring waiting to be released. I shot right at the goal from four feet out. The ball floated into the top left corner of the net over Louisa's head. I'd SCORED! And it was a fucking awesome goal too! The best one yet.


That high stayed with me throughout the rest of practice. It was enough to fuel me throughout the night too. I've been churning out the term paper powered by a combination of goal-induced-adrenaline and lacrosse-induced-excitement. Its 4:33am. I have class at 0900. I havent packed yet. And I'm going to bed.

So g'nite everyone. Watch for my tourney recap Sunday night. Here's to hoping I come back bearing good news.

Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com