Thursday, January 29, 2004
Comeback King
For once here's an entry that's about someone other than me.
Russian tennis player Marat Safin just beat Andre Agassi at the Australian Open semi-finals. A couple of days ago, he scalped World Number 1 Andy Roddick too. And this from the guy who barely played at all last year because he was beleaguered by wrist problems. He's ranked number 86 in the world right now. This is his first Grand Slam event in a year. But this is one perfect example that shows just how little a bunch of numbers of actually mean. Safin wants to show the world that he's back. And I think he's more than accomplished that already. Even if he doesn't end up winning the Australian Open, he's more than proved his point. He's a foe to be reckoned with.
Inspiring isn't it? Just goes to show that if you want something badly enough, no matter how high the odds are stacked against you, as long as you believe in yourself even when no one does you're going to go a long way. So here's to Safin. I take my hat off to him, if I can be one half the champion he is, I'll be a happy, happy person.
Comments:
Post a Comment