Saturday, November 01, 2003
Halloween Weekend
Hey guys, yes I know I havent updated for awhile, but I've been really busy. And I daren't sit down at the computer unless I've got an hour to spare or no work I should be doing. Otherwise, everytime I sit down in front of my laptop and go online, its like being sucked into this otherworldly abyss and I dont emerge again until 3 hours later or something like that.
Thursday night, the entire floor put in a group effort and decorated our floor for the Halloween floor decoration contest. The best looking floor wins 10 pounds of candy... that's a little over 5kg... It was really cool. We all worked together to cover the doors with fake cobwebs, cut out tombstones from construction paper, and hang up fake bats, ghosts and what not. We even had strings of little pumpkin shaped lights!!! And it was the first time everyone from our floor really came together and just hung out. So it was a lot of fun. The bonding certainly helped, because now everyone's a whole lot more familiar with each other.
Anyway, Friday was Halloween. And its a BIG thing here. Everyone dresses up and goes partying at night. There's a festive mood in the air, almost as if it were Christmas. And most people cut class if their classes ran after 2pm. I turned out to be one of them... heh. Lots of people even wore theire costumes to class! It was so much fun to look around and see a Qui Gon Jinn, a fairy, a dragon and the Mad Hatter all in one classroom. That was pretty much what it was like all over campus. Even the people who worked at the Coffee house were dressed up in costumes!
Initially, I thought I'd dress up as Anna Kournikova, because I've got the blue Adidas tennis top and skirt that she wears, and i've got a tennis racket. But then I realized that there was no way I was gonna be able to walk around at night in the frigid 2 degree celsius temperature in a miniskirt and tank top. So then I decided I'd be Jesus. That was because I was supposed to be going out with Tabby, Katherine and Crystel. Tabby was a Bad Angel, Katherine was gonna be the Good Angel and Crystel was gonna be a devil. And they all thought it'd be incredibly funny if I dressed as Jesus and went around with them.
To cut a long story short however, that didnt really work out. I went costume hunting with Joe on Friday afternoon, but every damn store we aimed for was either closed, sold out or non-existent. Finally, we gave up and ended up seeing a movie at the $1.50 theatre instead. The movie was pretty good actually: Cold Creek Manor. Go see it you guys, I highly recommend it.
I was a bit disappointed about not being able to get a costume and not being able to go out partying with the girls, but I guess there's always next year right? Next year I'm DEFINITELY gonna dress up. I was thinking that I'd be Honor Harrington. But then again, how many people know who the heck Honor Harrington is? So maybe I'll just go as some kind of sports person or something. I'll think about that next year and go get my costume in ADVANCE!
Still, this was my first halloween, and it was kinda cool. :)
Thursday night, the entire floor put in a group effort and decorated our floor for the Halloween floor decoration contest. The best looking floor wins 10 pounds of candy... that's a little over 5kg... It was really cool. We all worked together to cover the doors with fake cobwebs, cut out tombstones from construction paper, and hang up fake bats, ghosts and what not. We even had strings of little pumpkin shaped lights!!! And it was the first time everyone from our floor really came together and just hung out. So it was a lot of fun. The bonding certainly helped, because now everyone's a whole lot more familiar with each other.
Anyway, Friday was Halloween. And its a BIG thing here. Everyone dresses up and goes partying at night. There's a festive mood in the air, almost as if it were Christmas. And most people cut class if their classes ran after 2pm. I turned out to be one of them... heh. Lots of people even wore theire costumes to class! It was so much fun to look around and see a Qui Gon Jinn, a fairy, a dragon and the Mad Hatter all in one classroom. That was pretty much what it was like all over campus. Even the people who worked at the Coffee house were dressed up in costumes!
Initially, I thought I'd dress up as Anna Kournikova, because I've got the blue Adidas tennis top and skirt that she wears, and i've got a tennis racket. But then I realized that there was no way I was gonna be able to walk around at night in the frigid 2 degree celsius temperature in a miniskirt and tank top. So then I decided I'd be Jesus. That was because I was supposed to be going out with Tabby, Katherine and Crystel. Tabby was a Bad Angel, Katherine was gonna be the Good Angel and Crystel was gonna be a devil. And they all thought it'd be incredibly funny if I dressed as Jesus and went around with them.
To cut a long story short however, that didnt really work out. I went costume hunting with Joe on Friday afternoon, but every damn store we aimed for was either closed, sold out or non-existent. Finally, we gave up and ended up seeing a movie at the $1.50 theatre instead. The movie was pretty good actually: Cold Creek Manor. Go see it you guys, I highly recommend it.
I was a bit disappointed about not being able to get a costume and not being able to go out partying with the girls, but I guess there's always next year right? Next year I'm DEFINITELY gonna dress up. I was thinking that I'd be Honor Harrington. But then again, how many people know who the heck Honor Harrington is? So maybe I'll just go as some kind of sports person or something. I'll think about that next year and go get my costume in ADVANCE!
Still, this was my first halloween, and it was kinda cool. :)
Comments:
Post a Comment