Thursday, October 16, 2003
Crippled and Immobile
Lacrosse practice today was fun. Lots of fun. We had our first scrimmage, so I got my first look at an actual lacrosse game. Its FAST paced I tell you. Netball is NOTHING compared to the pace these girls play at. By the end of it all, I was panting. Virtually bent-over-hands-on-knees kind of panting. But it was SO much fun. In netball, I'm normally stuck in defense right? But because this was a practice scrimmage without actual assigned positions, you get free reign of the field, and you can just run about! It was exhilarating.
Another difference is that in netball, we do endurance more than sprints. In lacrosse, everything is about speed. Sprints, sprints and more sprints. They don't bother with the distance running. The ideal lacrosse player is built for speed. So thats what we train for. At the end of practice we did wind sprints over and over till you feel like keeling over and dying. I didn't keel over. No, actually I just pulled a muscle.
Towards the end, I was sprinting downfield when I felt my right quadricep burn. I knew i'd pulled it. Dang. All the way back, each time I put weight on it it burned some more and felt like it was tearing. Shit. Okay that sounds bad, but really its just pulled. I didn't tear the muscle; I'm pretty sure its a pull because its happened to me before and this is what it feels like.
So now I'm crippled. Or as my roommate put it-- before she started chortling in delight at her own joke-- I'm lame. Hooray. And I'll probably stay that way till at least Monday. To top it all off, the right brake on my bike is shot. I think the brake cable popped right out. And I really daren't use the bike with only one brake. I might run someone over! So now I'm crippled, immobile and devoid of any sort of transportation. Peachy isn't it. I'll have to limp my way to class tomorrow. This bites.
But that said, I'm still in a pretty good mood. This is working out. I'm having fun, getting fit and meeting people. That's a pretty good deal.
Another difference is that in netball, we do endurance more than sprints. In lacrosse, everything is about speed. Sprints, sprints and more sprints. They don't bother with the distance running. The ideal lacrosse player is built for speed. So thats what we train for. At the end of practice we did wind sprints over and over till you feel like keeling over and dying. I didn't keel over. No, actually I just pulled a muscle.
Towards the end, I was sprinting downfield when I felt my right quadricep burn. I knew i'd pulled it. Dang. All the way back, each time I put weight on it it burned some more and felt like it was tearing. Shit. Okay that sounds bad, but really its just pulled. I didn't tear the muscle; I'm pretty sure its a pull because its happened to me before and this is what it feels like.
So now I'm crippled. Or as my roommate put it-- before she started chortling in delight at her own joke-- I'm lame. Hooray. And I'll probably stay that way till at least Monday. To top it all off, the right brake on my bike is shot. I think the brake cable popped right out. And I really daren't use the bike with only one brake. I might run someone over! So now I'm crippled, immobile and devoid of any sort of transportation. Peachy isn't it. I'll have to limp my way to class tomorrow. This bites.
But that said, I'm still in a pretty good mood. This is working out. I'm having fun, getting fit and meeting people. That's a pretty good deal.
Comments:
Post a Comment