Friday, August 22, 2003
One-Handed Backhand
Tennis Practice was great today. I think my working out in the gym is really paying off.
I think I've finally mastered the art of the one-handed backhand. Which is so useful because a one handed backhand simply gives you that much more range when you're trying to go for a fast ball at a severe angle that you know you'll never be able to dash to in time. I never used to be strong enough to control the momentum that comes with the swing as you go into a one handed last-ditch effort sort of backhand. Now, I can! And I can actually control the ball and make it go where I want it to, with a little top spin to boot!
Plus that's not the only thing that seems to have improved. My serve is now more consistent than its ever been before. Previously I used to land something like ONE out of every five serves I smashed down. Now, I'm landing practically 90% of my serves! Also, I'm getting better at putting topspin on the ball so that it goes faster and flies lower.
Today was just incredible. Its like, I was in the zone. The Zone. That sacred place where everything just falls into place and you're playing at a top notch level feeling like no one can touch you. Something clicks, and everything works! It doesnt happen often. But when it does, its a remarkable feeling. I was hitting everything, landing all serves, not getting frazzled. Eagle Eye Cherry's "Save Tonight" was on repeat going through my head for some reason. Love that song. Its song-of-the-moment with me.
Its on days like this when I actually dare wonder if maybe, just maybe, I might have a decent chance of playing competitive tennis in uni. Not varsity level of course. I know my own limits only too well. But club level tennis would be very nice indeed. Fingers crossed, but I'm not placing any bets just yet.
Besides, I still have a lot of work to do. Gotta start hitting the aces on the serves. Trying for the big serve. And my forehand has to get Wayyyyyyyyyyy more consistent. As does my topspin. But for now, I'm happy. Happy with how things are going.
I think I've finally mastered the art of the one-handed backhand. Which is so useful because a one handed backhand simply gives you that much more range when you're trying to go for a fast ball at a severe angle that you know you'll never be able to dash to in time. I never used to be strong enough to control the momentum that comes with the swing as you go into a one handed last-ditch effort sort of backhand. Now, I can! And I can actually control the ball and make it go where I want it to, with a little top spin to boot!
Plus that's not the only thing that seems to have improved. My serve is now more consistent than its ever been before. Previously I used to land something like ONE out of every five serves I smashed down. Now, I'm landing practically 90% of my serves! Also, I'm getting better at putting topspin on the ball so that it goes faster and flies lower.
Today was just incredible. Its like, I was in the zone. The Zone. That sacred place where everything just falls into place and you're playing at a top notch level feeling like no one can touch you. Something clicks, and everything works! It doesnt happen often. But when it does, its a remarkable feeling. I was hitting everything, landing all serves, not getting frazzled. Eagle Eye Cherry's "Save Tonight" was on repeat going through my head for some reason. Love that song. Its song-of-the-moment with me.
Its on days like this when I actually dare wonder if maybe, just maybe, I might have a decent chance of playing competitive tennis in uni. Not varsity level of course. I know my own limits only too well. But club level tennis would be very nice indeed. Fingers crossed, but I'm not placing any bets just yet.
Besides, I still have a lot of work to do. Gotta start hitting the aces on the serves. Trying for the big serve. And my forehand has to get Wayyyyyyyyyyy more consistent. As does my topspin. But for now, I'm happy. Happy with how things are going.
Comments:
Post a Comment